Best way to align this 2 sided

So, I bought some plastic that had blue on both sides and white in the middle (it’s for engraving) and I want to make some jewelry using it. The plastic is only 0.25" thick and I need to engrave on both sides then cut out around it while all staying aligned.

I made a quick little movie of what I need but I am not sure how to post it here

First things first - make sure you try on some scrap material a few times before moving onto your final material. Experience says almost everyone takes a few tries to get 2 sided machining going they way they want it.

Second thing - probably worth mentioning what you are using to make your G-Code file. Carbide Create? V-Carve? Fusion360? Something else? That’ll probably get things started on what info you need to get going.

4 Likes

Carbide create from Adobe Illustrator created svg file. Someone mentioned cut out the outside pieces then cut a pocket in the waste board of the outside and then place each piece in the pocket and cut. Still might be tricky getting the tooling exactly centered but I think it’s worth a try.

using a pocket in the waste board is one good way. As the pocket is positioned by the machine, the alignment will be as nearly perfect as the machine can do, as long as you don’t change the zeroes. Depending on your material and prep method, an oversize pocket with two alignment edges may be easier than a `perfect fit’ pocket as this allows the tool to get to the non-registering edges and makes it much easier to seat and remove the part. This will still give pretty much perfect positioning.

Another option, if the part will have hols in it, is to put pins in the waste board and align the part on two holes. Again, the alignment will be as close to perfect as the machine can do. This does not require that the holes for the pins be on center, be aligned to the axes, or that they be part of the final product (they can be outside of the finished part), but only that they are referenced appropriately in the cam setup.

4 Likes

I have done the jig pocket, in a piece of plywood I use as a supplementary wasteboard that I bolt to the middle of my wasteboard using my 2 in grid pattern. I first saw the technique in one of John Clark’s videos.

I cut the plywood with enough extra to cover the holes I want to use then drill the bolt holes (with a pocket for the head) according to the grid of my wasteboard, (it can be done anywhere on your wasteboard);

I installed the supplementary wasteboard centered in the middle the main wasteboard using bolts;

Using the center position as the zero for creating the toolpaths, I pocketed the the supplementary wasteboard. Use the rapid position Center position in CC to place your zero as this is the repeatable position. The pocket needs to be a thou or two bibber than the part to make it possible to insert into the pocket but tight enough to prevent any movement.

Like your supplementary wasteboard, design your toolpaths for your part with the center as the Zero point for your toolpaths. Set your part in the jig, zero the machine at the center position and mill your part. Even if it is inside the pocket, make sure your part is secure using double sided tape and or clamps too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.