Best Way to Place a Marker on a County Map?

I’d like to make a “map” of the outline of Delaware County, PA. Within that outline, I’d like to have the municipalities outlined. I have a nice vector outline of the county I was able to get from ShutterStock, but it doesn’t have the municipalities. So that’s problem #1.

Then, ultimately, within that outline of the County, I’d like to be able to highlight a person’s home with either a caved outline of the muni, a star or both. So that’s problem #2.

Are there any resources available to do something like this, preferably without redoing the outlines each time? I’m thinking I’d like to download an outline of the County with the munis and then turn layers on/off based on location.

How would you go about doing something like this?

There are some resources at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Online_resources#Geography

openstreemap.org has an option for downloading an SVG export of any area, and (I’m sure) it has the ability to create custom maps/markers too, uses layers, etc…, so it could be easy enough to export to SVG, clean-up the vectors to keep only the relevant outlines, then import the result in CC ?

1 Like

Do a google search for U.S. maps. I had downloaded at one time each state as Illustrator files that were layered exactly as you’re looking for. The files had roads on one layer, topography and county and municipal outlines. This was quite a while ago so I don’t remember the site off the top of my head.

2 Likes

Yes, not only that, it’s the next to the last bullet point from the link I posted:

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/13425/export-vector-map

with a link to a discussion of it:

3 Likes

I’m currently making a “map” of Texas with the location of the city/town my daughter lives in with a “heart” marker. How did I do the map? I called up a map, located Texas as large as I could on screen, used the Snipping Tool to copy that and saved it as a JPEG and made copies of that. I used GIMP to erase everything I didn’t want and had just the border of Texas. I used Aspire to trace the outline of the state, but also used the JPEG as a background to locate the cities. I put a star at the location of the cities (withing limits of the size of the star and the size of the map - in other words, generalized locations) and added the names in text. The heart was the only difference other than that being larger and larger text for the city name. Stained with “Honey” color and it came out brown for some reason. Colored the start with a fine brush with silver glitter paint, and the names an old cream color. The special text I did for my daughters city I did in red. Haven’t completed it yet, but am getting close. The silver glitter takes a LOT of patience and several applications. After all painting is done, some very light sanding with a fine grit and then 2 to 3 or 4 coats of a soft clear coat and it is done.

3 Likes

For the “here is the house” I would recommend https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N445KS0 … it ends up looking like Red Pin Terrain carve

I’ve done a couple of trays using stars as a marker. These are just Vcarved and epoxy filled.Putting the star in just the right spot was probably the hardest part, but I didn’t know about open street maps SVG export when I made these.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.