Better UI Experience

There is a menu option for doing that for the Grid snapping.

Unfortunately tab deletion is an all-or-nothing affair at this time — allowing deletion of discrete tabs is a frequent feature request.

Usually when I need to measure things I just draw a rectangle, then scale it down by half.

A visualizer for Carbide Motion is another frequent request — I usually open my code up in a 3rd party program to confirm it before sending.

Continuing a cut is currently a matter of hand-editing.

I’m going lock this thread because the horse has been thoroughly beaten to death by now.

A few final notes:

Carbide Create started with much more simple goals than we have now and that led to a number of design decisions that we wouldn’t make today. We’re just finishing up the second major update, both of which were as close to a total rewrite as we can justify. (Adding “redo” in V6, as a result of many customer requests, required massive changes but it turned out to be a big win.)

This forum represents a small subset of overall customer interactions we have. We talk to a lot more people in email than we talk to here. We also spend a lot of time looking at what people actually do in various forums and groups rather than what they say.

The features we add are based on all of these interactions. They’re either what people are asking for, or what we need to add to reduce confusion for new customers. (And some changes that should be made cannot be made without causing massive support burden. We learned this the hard way.)

Everone has their own favorite feature and no feature is the top request for everyone. When we released the layers function we got a forum post that was something like “Why another feature nobody asked for?” and a bunch of emails thanking us for adding layers.

We have an update that we hope to release next week that integrates our Design Elements Library into Carbide Create as well as the ability to add your own SVGs to a local library. I’m going to guess that that everyone in this thread will shake their heads at it as a waste of effort, it’s not something that I would personally use, but MANY people have requested it.

There are a lot of things we want to add or fix so we end up working on the biggest bang for the development buck at any given time. Sometimes we fix little quirks and sometimes we add features.

I know that everyone likes to pick on @WillAdams for his reply that he’ll pass things on to the developers but nobody is better than sorting through requests and putting them in a coherent request than him. V6 has a lot of little UI fixes and 90% are from his work testing and passing on requests. He is actively working through this forum and taking notes.

21 Likes