Bit plunges too deep in stock destroying the work

Hello everyone,

I had this problem where the bit plunges very deep in the stock, it started a few month ago while I’m still using the z-belt drive, so I decided to upgrade into z-plus, after the upgrade I still have the same problem , I’ll attach a picture

Please advice
thanks

Do you have a BitSetter? If so, are you always changing tools using the interface?

Try updating to:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

What is your safety/retract height? If it’s more than is available above the surface of the stock, reduce it.

Is the excessively deep plunging accompanied by awful noise from the Z-axis stepper motor?

Please send photos of your Z-axis motor wiring and wiring extension connectors including at the controller in to support@carbide3d.com

I do have a BitSetter and I use it for changing the tools, the retract height is 0.2000 in.
when it plunges in the wood there is no abnormal sound comes from the z-axis stepper motor

thanks

Did you maybe accidentally click the box that zeros off the bottom of the stock instead of the top?

1 Like

No, here is a screenshot for job setup

is your stock 3/4" as in 0.75in and not 0.57in like in your screenshot?

EDIT: I guess that wouldn’t result in the plunge though as your zero height is still the top of the stock.

My stock was .57in, it looks more than that in the picture

Will asked the following, “… BitSetter? If so, are you always changing tools using the interface?”

We usually ask that you itemize each step you take while performing the BitSetter procedure. Inevitably, someone misses or misinterprets a step.

2 Likes

Did you just upgrade to a Z-Plus and this is the first job run with the new upgrade? If yes I’m wondering if you may need to push the configuration back to the controller selecting the proper machine and Z-axis (ie. Shapeoko with Z-Plus), just a thought.

I’m still having the same issue even after the upgrade Z-Plus, and I pushed the new configurations to the controller

Does this problem happen every time or occasionally?
How do you set your Z-zero (manual, or BitZero v1/v2)? If using the BitZero, do you zero “corner”, or “just z”? If “just Z”, is the probe on top of the work piece instead of overhanging the corner? That one tripped me up a few times, if zeroing just the Z the probe has to be on top of the workpiece or the Z gets messed up by enough to cause what your picture shows.
After zeroing, if you jog the bit over the work piece and jog down to Z=0, is it at the right height?

1 Like

This issue happens every time I start the machine and attempt to do some engraving or pocketing, so to avoid this I replace the work piece with scrap and run the Gcode. I use Bitzero v1 for probing, but if I’m engraving I zero the XY and Z in the middle (using toolpath zero at center in job setup ) using piece of paper, and for pocking I probe the XYZ with Bitzero.

I have had this happen a time or two or three. Generally during production runs. It slowed down significantly after I grounded my machine. Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

When it happens now I unplug the “brick” transformer from the wall, turn on the machine wait a few min. Plugin and start again. I don’t know why this happens or why it clears the issue. It has solved my issue a time or two or three.

Good luck

For BitSetter users, the most common cause for this plunging is arbitrarily putting a new bit into the machine.

There are only two situations where you can put a bit into the router:

1. When the machine is turned off
  2. When there is a prompt on the screen asking you to do it

There are no other times.

The most common “wrong” time is probably replacing the bit when you are jogging to set up the zero as its easy to think “I’d better put the right one in now so I zero with the correct bit or probe pin”.

1 Like

I don’t understand why it is so difficult for the OP to itemize the process he uses on the BitSetter so we can stop guessing at a solution and at least eliminate that procedure.

He’s been asked twice. I give up.

3 Likes

I’ll test this scenario and get back to you.

Thanks

There’s really no need to test it. It’s sort of a law.

If, no matter what your motivation or rationale might be, if you put a bit in router and there is not a prompt on the screen telling you to do it, you will corrupt the Z axis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.