Bit setter Future enhancements / recommendations

I have been using the bit setter since I got it, probably 100+ tool changes by now. I did screw it up at first, I was not sure what I did, and ruined a piece I was making. After that I paid more attention and have not had a problem since. I really appreciate the accuracy. I have used 1 mm end mills a bunch of times, and had no problem with the plunger breaking them.
I did drop a bit and break it on removal, luckily it was a cheap one. I have a thing where I keep a finger on the bit the whole time while I am removing or installing it, works great till you slice yourself on a flute lol.
I would like it to be more configurable in the options. I would prefer to change tools over the spoil board or like was said, a basket to hang on the front but, I don’t generally drop my bits on change with my one finger method and grabbing and removing a basket every time and leaning over it, idk…
If it was over the spoil board at least if it drops it is only dropping a few inches on to MDF… Not 3 feet to the cement or tile…
Anyway I am sure a lot of hard work went into the creation and production of the Bitsetter and I very much appreciate the effort and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

First, I think the BitSetter works very well, I am able to change the endmill without dropping it on the floor. Using two hands, I am able to do the work without any issue so far but I get why it could be an issues if one is not extra careful during the process.

Second, I already mentioned in another thread that upon initialization, the spindle should stay at the home position until the user activates the movement to the bit changing area.

Third, the workflow process should be printed on a card so that new users follow the proper order for when to zero and change bits before they start their job and during the milling operation. The steps have to be done in the proper order and many miss steps or do them in the wrong order thus ruining their project. Because this is a semi-automated tool change system, user have to keep in sync to make the process work properly.

4 Likes

I love the bitsetter it works well and I have not had any issues with it you just need to follow the work flow just like with any job if you can’t remember the flow make yourself a cheat sheet and follow it just like a pilot does when he gets ready to fly a plane (don’t want to mess that up) lol

3 Likes

We will eventually update the official checklist:

with the workflow for the BitSetter, or provide an alternate version — still trying to feel that out.

3 Likes

That would be good, a workflow diagram:

1. Computer on
  2. SHAPEOKO on
  3. Start CM
  4. Check if desired bit is installed tight enough
  5. Initialize machine
  6. Confirm that BitSetter Checks for bit length
  7. Zero with Touch Probe
  8. etc.??

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.