Bit Stuck in Router

Hello!,

Today is day one with my Shapeoko 4. I have the standard Cabide Router. I did a project to test out the machine. The first toolpath used a 102. When it came time to switch to my v-bit I couldn’t get the bit loose. I big nut came off but when I try to put the bit and colet out it won’t budge at all.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Tap it with a wrench.
Sometimes Sawdust gets jammed up there and it makes it too tight.

That did not work. It seems to be really stuck.

1 Like

Back when I first started with my Shapeoko, I had bits get stuck. I found it was because I pushed the bit too far into the collet.

If you have the nut off, I had to take pliers and hold the bit and use a hammer to the pliers to get the bit out. Never did that again.

2 Likes

That was the issue! I used a pair of vice grips and the hammer and she came right out.

I only have the bit go in the collet about 0.75" no more that the collet length. Also, when changing the bit tap the nut a few times with the wrench to get extra dust out. Every few changes I take the whole collet out and blow the excess dust out. I haven’t had an issue since. (Knock on wood) good thing I have plenty laying around to knock on.

5 Likes

My 1/4 collet never has this problem and my 1/8 ALWAYS does.
I’m knocked out the dust; used the pliers/ made sure to not bottom the bit out still it will not come out without resorting to the pliers.
Makes me hate to use the 1/8 collet, but to use my 1/8 ball bits, it’s a must.
I might see if I can get another 1/8 collet and see if that, itself, is the problem.

Is there a possibility that you received a Metric collet? A 3 mm would be tight. 1/8 is .125 imperial 3.175 mm. The ID of my collet is .125 / 3.2 mm
Just shooting it the dark

Thanks, I’ll mic it out in the morning and maybe!
Thanks

I USED to experience this problem also with the 1/8 bit/colletts. I solved this issue by upgrading all my bits to 1/4" D shanks. I also experienced a problem with the factory supplied wrenches so I upgraded them by picking up a pair of new wrenches from Amazon. These are for the Shapeoko supplied router. Other router may have different dimensions.

YES, I have had enough fine dust in my collet that it got packed in and the bit was stuck.
Cleaning everything is my new step 1 to maintain the collet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.