Bitrunner alternative - 110v / 220v

Hi
I live in the UK and just got my Shapeoko 3 XXL. I was dissapointed that I couldnt get hold of a bitrunner and didnt want to play with buying relay boards and making cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0765WBGK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I discovered on Amazon that a UK company Keene makes the Keene KPS1 AC Powerswitch Relay Or Trigger Control, which is a pretty nice device and well manufactured. It switches the mains power through based on a number of options, closed contacts or isolated voltage and uses a relay rather that solid state so that there isnt the usual heat generation of an SCR. The device has an externaly replaceable 20mm fuse and an indicator led which shows RED when the KPS1 is connected to mains power and GREEN when the output is powered.
The unit is fed via an IEC connector plug and has an IEC connector socket for output. It is supplied with a power in lead and a UK socket on a lead with the IEC plug on it.

Connect a 3.5mm stereo jack from the device to a molex connector using the correc headshell and pins.
The beauty of this is that you can buy an off the shelf stereo lead and cut off the plug from one end,

3.0mm,MicroFit,plug,2row,freehang,6w - RS Stock No.679-5868
Crimp,male,Sn plate phos B,20-24AWG,reel - RS Stock No.670-1869

Ground is pin 6 goes to the sleeve or ground connection of the stereo plug
PWM is on pin 3 and goes to the tip or ring of the stereo plug.

Enable automated control of the spindle / router in Carbide Motion settings and save back the configuration to the Shapeoko 3.

Congratulations… You now have a work and safe Bitrunner alternative.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.