Bitrunner....gone forever?

Looks like its the standalone version only? Aka pre Z Plus are SOL and/or have to buy the little connector piece separately to solder onto the PCB?

It looks like there is an option to add it on.

1 Like

My understanding is that that is for the pre-2019 Black Friday machines. Where as the “retro” option was for the post 2019 BF, but before the Zplus

I’m pretty sure this is for any board that has that plug which the pro does.

2 Likes

Just wondering- is there new functionality in BitRunner V2, or just aesthetic/manufacturing improvements?

3 Likes

I believe this post sums it up:

1 Like

I agree on the overbuilt! The relays in V1 are 30 Amp…twice the iot relay. I hope that part is carried over. I think it could be shrunk and maybe the 110V plugs reformatted… that’s the only thing I think Soviet about V1. I can’t wait to get a V2 on my Pro.

2 Likes

The enclosure is sheet steel, same as the Summer 2016 enclosures — I suspect the v2 will use the same sort of materials as the current low profile enclosure:

which may afford better economies of scale.

1 Like

Just placed an order an hour ago (02MAR21)
…I’m glad I checked the box to alert me when more came in!

1 Like

Also just ordered one, thanks. We have an older Shapeoko that we bought used so I just assumed it needed the new PCB so I went ahead and ordered that too…

@Jorge Any special instructions for mounting the bitrunner on the Pro as the guide doesn’t explicitly state the Pro

Hmm, do I need a new PCB if mine is 2.4e version? Sounds like it already had necessary headers, so it should be just the soldering thing.
Would have to make a new hole in the enclosure though…

I have my BitRunner V1 on my Pro. There really isn’t any place to mount it that I could find that would work. I ended up mounting mine to the bench.

1 Like

I just purchased the BitRunner and the PCB. Anyone know if this is going to be compatible with the original shapeoko. Like before the split from x-carve I think I have a shapeoko 1 or 2 and the board is a grblshield v4 + Arduino. I am hoping this will let me use carbide motion with my system after installing the PCB and BitRunner. If it works I am going to also get a BitZero to connect.

Hope this works it has needed an upgrade for years!

There are version 2.4e boards that do not have the six pin connector needed for the BitRunner. I bought my right after it came out and they have options for soldering on your own connector or ordering with a new board. Either way the kit came with a new controller cover. Times may have changed but if you have a 2.4e board version the connector location is on t he board there just wont be a connector.

The new cover has you remove the big heat sink that is currently behind the controller and you put on a smaller heat sink and reuse the holes that the heat sink were secured with to hold on the controller cover.

1 Like

The board won’t directly work with a Shapeoko 1 or 2 — the motors don’t have the right connectors.

Please contact support to arrange for a return.

I ordered one but had no idea what PCB was so I didn’t get that. What is PCB?

PCB Printed Circuit Board

So I should have gotten that too? Hoping to order a Pro here soon if I am able to get online quick enough after the email.

The PCB (printed circuit board) is the electronic controller. Older machines which don’t have a BitRunner connector would need a replacement which has one.

If you have a recent machine or a Pro, you have one, and are good to go.

1 Like