Bitsetter issue with slab bit

Hoping someone has run into this maybe and can offer up a solution.

I’m having an issue when trying to use my 2" slab bit, as the bitsetter literally fits inside of the bit so then the length of tool measurement gets messed up and screws up the zero of the piece.

Thought about maybe just moving the bitsetter a tiny bit so that couldn’t happen, but not sure if that will affect other things long term with measurements.

Would be really nice if we could temporarily disable the bitsetter for a job without having to completely turn it off and back on again. Then i could manually set the Z height and run the job without any tool measurements taking place, then enable it again once i’m done.

I have my bit center slightly offset so the carbide inserts in the mcfly hit the bitsetter comfortably, I just rotate the bit so its inline. but you may not be able to do that with your bit.

You should be able to glue a larger pad on top of the the button as another option

A lot of folks add a larger button on top. Even temporarily as long as you use that same item for everything within that initialization session it’s ok.

You can disable the bitsetter but you need to reinitialize when you change that setting and on my Pro I have to powercycle as well or weird things happen.

1 Like

I saw a post on this topic recently. Somebody just stuck a wide putty knife on the magnetic bitsetter button when they needed to use wide bit. Instead of modifying anything, could you do that for the rare times you’ll need the slab bit?

1 Like

Doesn’t adding material to the top of the bitsetter mess up the calibration height? maybe i’m being dense

As @CullenS said, not as long as you use the putty knife for all bits in that job.

3 Likes

I was thinking it knew the height if the bitsetter, but all it really does is measure the changes between the bits, i was overthinking it.

I think i’ll just CAD up a little cap and 3d print it so that it’ll just snap on top of the bitsetter to make it wider.

1 Like

Yep, it is the relative difference from bit to bit.

If you use the Basic G-Code post for your surfacing path, it won’t have a toolchange code & won’t measure the tool. You’ll need to set your Z zero manually for that path, and then again for the next path.
But you don’t have to disable the bitsetter.

1 Like

Setting Z zero in the CM 635 automatically runs to the bitsetter. I saw the comment on the page that it would trigger it but was surprised that it did it so quickly. I think that would run anytime you have the bitsetter enabled unless I am missing something.

Ughhh!! I quit using the bitsetter before that change.

I think the only thing that should trigger a tool measurement is a toolchange in the program, and an explicit toolchange. (Clicking the button to change tool / measure tool).

The measurement on initialize never bothered me, as I knew it would need a reference height to compare to any subsequent tools. You could reset zero many times without changing tools. Why waste time going to the bitsetter every time you set Z zero???

I’ve found the new changes results in fewer trips to the bit setter overall. Yes it caught me off guard the first time, but I quite like the new process

1 Like

Seems like a clean putty knife is in order. I don’t think the button on mine is magnetic. I had to order a replacement 3-4 months ago. Bought the machine used and it never had a magnet on top, didnt know there was supposed to be one. The new one was different.

I wiped the top of mine off a long time ago. Glued a magnet on top. You could glue a magnet to what you have now if you wanted to.

Edit:
Plus I stack magnets if the dust collector shoe hits the spoilboard.

1 Like

Yeah that’s different than mine, i have the new one which sits up on top of the channel, if i run a 4x8 sheet i have to keep it loose to remove and put back, i like how yours is down below the spoilboard.