BitSetter operation after importing MeshCam code file into Carbide Motion

I recently purchased the BitZero and Bit Setter accessories for my Shapeoko 4 XL. I love the time that these two accessories saves. I do have questions about how the tool change and Z offsets are handled in my specific use case. I am making radiused guitar fingerboards. For all my 2D passes, I am relying on Carbide Create, but for my 3D operation, I am using MeshCam; specifically to generate the 3D gcode for the fingerboard radiusing operations. If after running my carbide create file on carbide motion, I load my gcode files from MeshCam into Carbide Motion, will the BitSetter sequencve reprobe Z for my tool change? Or do I have to edit my gcode file with BitSetter routines in order to take advantage of what BitSetter has to offer? If so, is there documentation as to the routines I have to insert into my MeshCam gcode to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Ray

When you send your configuration with Carbide Motion you are really configuring CM mostly. So when you initialize with CM the homing positions are creating the internal coordinate system in CM that users usually do not access. So when you physically set Z zero with either a manual method or with a BitZero CM is keeping track of that coordinate system made during initialization and making a new coordinate system that is offset from the homing sequence.

When you create a file with CAD software you use a post processor. Since C3D is associated with MeshCam the post processor should be aware of the Shapeoko’s capabilities.

So if you are using CM for your gcode sender and you have used the post processors for your machine the tool changes and the X Y and Z zeros should still be set. You will still be prompted for a bit and it should be measured by the BitSetter and the Z zero last set should be maintained regardless of the gcode source. But that also depends as stated earlier on the post processor of the gcode. If you have gcode that does not have the gcode commands for the BitSetter or Tool change prompts then I think you would need to reset zeros after changing from CC to MeshCam. The magic of the BitSetter is in CM and the post processors. You may just have to try it with some scrap. I am sure someone will chime in with more advise.

1 Like

Thank you for your very detailed explanation. I am currently testing this out. On MeshCam I am using the Shapeoko GRBL MM post processor and importing that gcode into Carbide Motion. Almost to that step!

It worked like a CHARM!!!

I used MDF to test this. Here is the result. This CNC thing is a lot of fun. Really learning a lot

1 Like

I am not a guitar player but have made a couple of guitars. The ones I made were like a steel guitar. My Grandson plays guitar and I would like to make him one.

So what kind of guitars do you make, Strats, Flying Vs or what? Where do you get your works like the pickups, bridges and tuning pegs?

I make classical and acoustic guitars. I make every component from scratch with the exception of the tuners, which I have them made in Germany. I make everything by hand, but I am starting to venture into the world of CNC after 15 years building. I have on occasion built electrics. I’ve built teles, strats, les Paul style guitars, but just don’t enjoy those as much. For the ones I did make, I used Seymour Duncan pickups, Babicz bridge hardware, switchcraft electronics, etc. I get those direct from the manufacturer. The reason I don’t like building electric guitars is primarily the reliance on having to purchase hardware I can’t built myself. It feels too much like kit building to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.