Bitsetter Repeatability

I just bought the bitsetter but have not hooked it up yet. If I had read this post first I am not sure that I would have even bought it. So is this a problem with all users of an the bit setter using fusion 360
I run Vectric Pro 10 software.

No.
I’ve not been able to measure (or see, or feel) any difference in Z height when changing tools with the BitSetter.

3 Likes

I am having same issues. I posted a topic about this not know this issue was wide known. I do multiple jobs with my SO3XXL with BitSetter without powering the machine down (10-20 per day to be exact), a lot of them are multitool. I am experiencing the same issue where the z-height is lost with the bit setter. When I run the machine without it, it is perfect every time. Powering down the machine in between job and initializing it could eat away at valuable machining time quickly.
Is there a way to fix this “pitfall” so that the bit setter alway picks up the correct tool height without powering/reinitializing the machine with the 1st tool?

Another reply in the other thread you posted, but: the most efficient way to never get caught in the workflow pitfalls is to use the “change tool” every single time you need change the tool, after initial machine initialization. Is it what you are doing already ?

1 Like

I am going to try that. I do not do that every time. The reason being is because I thought it would be a double step, because Vectric post processor is set up so that it prompts a tool change in the very beginning as is. I will let you know if it makes a mistake going forward. I have a few items to make today.

1 Like

The BitSetter can’t work if one changes tools w/o using the “Change Tool” button or rezeroing.

I re-zero every time I start a new job with the touch probe. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes, or any other toolchange.

Yes, in that case I re-zero every time I start a new job. However, @Julien mentioned that I should be using “Change Tool” common every time I start a new job, I do not do that, because Vcarve pro SO tool change post processor requires a tool change in the beginning of the job as is, so I thought it would not be necessary to use the “Change Tool” command.

so what happens is this, outside of the “Change tool” option…
every time it measures it will adjust the zero point with the differences of previous and new measurement…
(that’s the whole idea of the bitsetter… adjusting the zero for tool differences so that the work is at the same level regardless of tool length)

if you change a tool without the “Change tool” option, and then zero… the zero you just set will be adjusted for the difference of previous and current measurement… but if you do change tool via the menu (which includes a measurement), and then set zero…, the “previous” and “current” are the same so the zero will not be adjusted

3 Likes

Thank you. Just to be clear my work flow should be:

1. “Change Tool” command
  2. Set zero with Touch probe
  3. Run the file (Vcarve pro post processor for SO with tool change)
1 Like

yup

(if you turn on the machine from cold, there’s an implicit ‘change tool’ there)

1 Like

Yup. I think that’s the step I have been missing. I will run it this way going forward and let everyone how it goes.

And yet another thread that could be avoided if the Bitsetter operation could be well documented when the purchase was made. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I use VCarve and the BitSetter and don’t have the problem. But, I use the suggested work flow and just deal with the initial BitSetter probe. I also have the HDZ for the Z.

Will, an M6 in the gcode will serve the same purpose as the Change Tool button, correct?

An M6 command prompts a BitSetter operation when present in the gcode.

1 Like

could you explain you comment
just deal with the initial BitSetter probe.
Jeff

Are you saying that every time I change a tool even with the bitsetter ( M6 command) I need to rezero Z height? I’m sure I’m misunderstanding this. The bit setter is supposed to alleviate that.

But I am having differences of up to .025 in height between a 1/16" end mill and a 1/4" end mill used for clearance. When I run the 1/4" clearance after the 1/16" perimeter cut , I need to set it .020 -.025 deeper ) total ( .145 - .150 dp) to stay flush with a .125 deep cut by the smaller bit. Using Vcarve Pro on MDF. I’ve run multiple tests w same results.
I notice the Z carriage wobbles a lot on those V Wheels, and am also having issues just cutting perfectly smooth arcs and circles .I assume due to that.
I’ve slowed the feed speeds and take no more than .12 or less at a time in wood.
Coming from years on a shopbot I’m disappointed at this level of imprecision o my XXL.
I plan to get the new worm drive Z Carriage and have the C3D router on the way now.
I sure hope this solves these issues.
I see a few other guys ( Vince & Scott) doing amazing precise work, but have to say it 'aint happening for me at the moment.

Those ShopBot machines look nice; their desktop machine is about five times the cost of a SO3 XXL. Did you have one before or have access to one at work?

It’s encouraging to see people cranking out some really inspiring work on SOs that have high levels of precision. How many people have upgrades and were those upgrades necessary versus just desirable? Smooth arcs and circles definitely don’t seem to be out of the realm of what’s achievable with a stock machine. I would take a look at machine calibration (v-wheels, eccentric nuts, belt tension, pulley set screws, etc…). I had an issue with tool slippage from not tightening the collet enough, and that caused issues when using the BitSetter in the past. I know I was having an issue with Z-zero being above the stock after the BitZero probing and after I adjusted for belt stretch that changed too.

I’m not an expert by any means, but I would take a look at calibration then perhaps technique. The ShopBot looks like a pretty rigid machine so settings will likely have to be dialed back. A separate thread with some of those arcs/circles you’re talking about that include settings and material would be good to not only document what’s going on, but to have more knowledgeable community members chime in would be beneficial to others (myself included) when you get it resolved too.

3 Likes