Bitzero and cutters less than 3mm in diameter

Probe with a probing pin or a supported endmill, then switch to the unsupported endmill, and if need be, reprobe for Z only with the BitZero correctly placed.

If I use a 1/8 endmill using the X,Y,Z probe operation then the X,Y zero positions are perfect. If I do an zero X probe only then the position is way off. Iā€™m placing the BitZero overlapping the material, just like you would for an X,Y,Z probe and like the CM instructions show. Attached are pictures showing the before and after of the X probe.

Before the X Probe.

X Zero position after probe operation.

You donā€™t place the BitZero over the edge when doing an X only probe.

The ONLY probe that currently works with the lip over the edges is X,Y,Z.

BitZero User Guide - Carbide 3D shows examples of this.

The instructions in CM can often differ from the images, as in this old versionā€¦ sure it looks like it is over the edge, but it isnā€™t, and the text confirms that:

1 Like

Yes, youā€™re correct, one has to place the probe on the edge for X,Y only probes. I came to that conclusion after trial and error.

That being said, this is what the latest version of CM shows when setting up for a Y only probe.
ā€œPosition probe over cornerā€ combined with the picture sends a clear message to me to overlap the probe.

1 Like

Me too. It is confusingā€¦ maybe they changed the pictures and the text but not the code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually the picture is identicalā€¦ I think they need clearer ones that show exactly where things are.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.