Bitzero bit location

When using the bitzero V1 where is the bit located in relation to the work piece when doing all three axis? Is it the center of the bit over the very corner?
The reason I ask is that I was trying to cut a heart shape and laser text centered on the heart. Most tries would be off center by about 1mm or so. I set the laser at the corner of the work piece. Both in carbide create and lightburn the lower left corner was the origin. In carbide create the work piece was 1.6x1.5 inches. In lightburn the heart was also 1.6x1.5 inch. The heart was not cut free before burning the text. The work piece also was not moved between operations.
I think the problem Iā€™m having is that the heart image in lightburn is smaller than the size shown. When clicking on the heart a box appears around the heart and it is slightly bigger than the heart. The original heart image was png. I converted it to svg. I did find that in inkscape I could cause the resize page selection of the heart. Which is I think what I should have done in the beginning.
I finally got the piece created by setting the laser off origin by 1mm.
Would like to know what the proper procedure is to cut and laser a work piece and have the text in the proper place.

The center of the bit should be over the corner, HOWEVER, unless you use one of the metal dowels, the geometry of the flutes can mess things up.

So for best results, you should:

• install dowel
  • bitzero corner probe
  • Install bit
  • Bitzero Z probe on top of workpiece.
1 Like

The bitzero v1 has a circle etched on top. To start x y and z the bit should be within 12mm of that circle, preferably right over the circle. When using a router bit to measure for x and y the 1/4 inch bit is slightly smaller than 1/4 inch bit. If your material is square or retangular to start with try using center of material. Just draw line from corner to corner to find center.

The v2 has a precision 1/4 inch pin they use for reference. You can still use a bit but it is less precise.

1 Like

Thanks. I understand the the procedure for using the bitzero V1. It always cut the heart properly. It was the lettering that was always offset. I did try he center origin with the same results. I really think that the problem is with the heart image that I used in lightburn. When selecting the heart in lightburn a square box would surround the heart. The heart outline was about an 1/8 inch smaller than the square box. But I think that size displayed in lightburn was the size of the box not the heart. Since the heart is smaller in lightburn than the heart in carbide create. This caused the offset issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.