BitZero v1 probing error

Hey guys, I am setting up carbide motion on a new laptop, and I can’t seem to get my BitZero v1 probe working quite right. When I try to do a corner probe, it begins by probing for the z level, and once it makes contact the spindle stops and lifts as it is supposed to, but then immediately drives back down again instead of moving on to probe x and y. It then gives me a PRB004 error (“the probe was in the incorrect state prior to movement”). This is only happening when I try to probe the corner — if I do x, y, and z separately, it seems to work fine.

Any idea what might be causing this?

When I tested the v1 BitZero it worked as noted at:

Which version of Carbide Motion?

Are you using 636 or 635?

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

I’m on version 635. My prior laptop was running 618 and the probe worked fine, so maybe I just need to update Motion?

By the way here’s a short video to demonstrate the error:

Even stranger, it appears that after probing x and y one at a time (that is, without doing a corner probe), it’s not setting the zero point correctly. It looks like it’s actually setting the zero to the corner of the probe itself, as though it’s not accounting for the width of the “lip” that overhangs the material.

Here it is in its zero position after probing x and y:

Here are some pics with the probe, so you can see that it’s trying to zero with the outer edges of the probe, rather than with the material the probe is sitting on:

Something caught my eye in your pictures. It could just the perspective but your BitZero seems to be in the wrong position. On the V1 BitZero there are two legs on the BitZero and those two longer legs go over the corner. The pictures look like only one leg is some how over the edge. Again it may just be an optical illusion.

The other thing to check is that you told CM you are using v1 BitZero and Not v2. After it is set it is persistent and not needed to be changed.

2 Likes

Hey @gdon_2003, I placed the bitzero like this just so I could take the picture, in order to see where it’s trying to zero, since I could only overhang one edge at a time with the bit in that position. But when I do the actual probe the bitzero is in its proper position, with both front and left sides overhanging.

And yeah, I’m making sure to select bitzero v1 each time I try. It’s very odd, I’ve been using this setup for years and never had this problem before!