BitZero V2: too light?

I tried using the BitZero (V2) with my new Nomad 3, and I found out that it is rather light, and shifts very easily. I have to place the cables just so, and even then it will often shift during probing, especially if probing for all three coordinates, during the move for Z probing.

I also noticed that it will often get nudged slightly when doing X-Y probing inside the hole.

Anybody else seeing this? It makes the probe significantly less “fire and forget”, as I have to watch it like a hawk and question the results I’m getting.

1 Like

As a Nomad newbie: how do you do that? The cover detector switch prevents me from doing anything with the cover open (which is a major annoyance at times!).

Now that’s a very good question!

Being an XXL owner who also raised the same issue, it didn’t occur to me that Nomad users might have the same problem.

You should contact Support for a solution, I think.

My solution has been to drape the cord around a clamp so that the coil of the cord holds it in place — I believe the manual mentions this, or at least implies it.

1 Like

I’m not one to advocate bypassing safety devices but I have noted that a small magnet placed on the front of the cover switch will satisfy the permissive.

Your Nomad 3 should have included an Interlock Key — if you don’t have one, let us know at support@carbide3d.com

1 Like

Will, what does this “interlock key” look like? I have one of the earlier Nomad 3 and I don’t recall anything fitting that description in the box.

I’ve been just using a tiny bit of the thin double sided tape and putting it on the opposite corner of the measuring hole on the BitZero. This has worked for my lower precision wood projects.

See pg. 4 of https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/nomad/gettingstarted3/Nomad3_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf

3 Likes

Thank you Will, I had not seen that getting started guide before; it must have been created after I got my Nomad 3 up and running. I’ve contacted support to request an interlock key.

3 Likes

Yeah, bitzero v2 move pretty easily and unnecessary big. It tends to hit my vice.
If you’re machining conducive materials, then you can do manual probing by seeing bitzero LED turning red, which is more reliable than auto probing so far.

My Nomad 3 didn’t have the interkey either, so that could be a widespread problem.
Carbide 3D sent it with overnight FedEx so their support is fairly good.

1 Like

New documentation for this just went up:

2 Likes

Im a recent owner of the new nomad3 and didn’t get an interlock key either. I went magnet then I tape down the cable and the Bitzero.

1 Like

Please check in at support@carbide3d.com about this.

When my Nomad 3 arrived they had forgotten to put the interlock key in the package. It was overnighted to me. Great customer support! In the meantime, a small magnet on the door lock will work. I would think from reading this thread that this has been a common issue and suspect they have realized this was happening, and, hopefully, have corrected this oversight. cjh

2 Likes

I’ve been using a bit of sticky tack (Blu Tack) on the back-right corner of the BitZero V2 to keep it in place. First, I make sure the surface is clean and nothing is between the BitZero and the material, to avoid messing with z-height. Then while I’m holding the BitZero tight to the corner, I cram a bit of the sticky tack on that back corner and it seems to be plenty to keep it secure during the probing sequence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.