Bore Spring pass at higher pitch

Does anyone know how/if it is possible to run the spring pass at a higher pitch/ramp angle on a boring toolpath?

The only way workaround I can figure out is running two seperate toolpaths. But then it is travelling to each bore twice rather then doing the spring pass right after the initial bore.

You can achieve what you want by having a pair of toolpaths for each hole.

I believe that there are 3rd party G-code optimization programs which will rearrange toolpaths for efficiency as well — might be one of those would work.

I do it as 2 toolpaths. I initially worried about all the extra travel, but for my parts it doesn’t amount to much. An 18"/450mm rapid is less than 5 seconds.

As a free fusion360 user my “rapids” aren’t always rapid, despite my best efforts with post processors and such, so the extra travel can significantly add to the machining time rather quickly.

If the holes are in a pattern you could make the toolpaths for one hole and then use the pattern function to bore the rest. You could also hand code the move to each location and then copy and paste the bore toolpaths. You would need to make sure your lead in started from the center of the hole or do the math to make sure it starts from the correct location. Another option would be to make a pair of bore toolpaths for each hole in Fusion.

You could also use another software. I am not familiar with any others that have a bore operation but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

1 Like

I’m guessing that you’re using the ‘repeat finishing passes’ option to run the spring pass.

In terms of the non-commercial license and the sloooow non-rapids, it all depends on how much keyboard time you’re willing to invest, if you’re making enough of one part then it may be worthwhile.

To set up a series of individual toolpaths, to bore and then finish at higher angle each hole in order, you can use the CTRL-C - CTRL-V to copy paste the toolpath, you can also right click on the toolpath and ‘create derived operation’ which will copy all the selections and settings of the current toolpath over to a new one. That would leave you to select the appropriate hole and set the helix angle.

If you run separate toolpath operations, Fusion will rapid between operations, it only seems to go slow within a toolpath, not between them.

It’s a long way from optimal but if you have enough of this part to make, it might be worth it.

1 Like

Just in case the following tool is not part of what you already tried:

@Julien I’ve tried using his tools, and while they do speed some things up, it doesn’t catch everything.

@LiamN @nwallace thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping there was a better solution than maunal programming or judicious use of copy/paste/edit but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

Thanks for the tips though everyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.