Bosch 1617EVS Router

Could you please share that with all of us?

@WillAdams I retained the Z-plus, so this shouldn’t be hard to do. Maybe this will be the first project with the machine.

EDIT: I changed my mind slightly, and am listing a different model.

@gmack C41/47-B-DB-P-ER25 is exactly what I am looking for! If I could find it domestically in the US, it would be a done deal. I don’t want to wait a month and then also pay duties, and it looks like American Spindle is the official distributor.

You also might be able to buy a complete 110V 1HP system from ShopBot
that uses a HSD spindle.
. HSD is much more recognized brand, has a rep in the US, but is more expensive. I think that spindle is limited to 18,000 RPM rather that 24,000 RPM, and don’t know if its cooled by a shaft mounted or electric fan. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just had my mind blown by an old video by a YouTube channel I used to follow.

Apparently ER20 collets fit on a Bosch 1617EVS! If that’s the case, why is this not the de facto standard CNC spindle???

Are you sure that that isn’t a Precise Bits ER-style collet set?

Something like:

https://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/Bosch_1618_kits.asp&filter=1

Yes, after some exploring I have since discovered that. It’s unfortunate that Precise Bits doesn’t offer metric collets, because it would have been an otherwise useful compromise, despite being a non-standard product.

My hypothesis is he modifies existing ER20 collets to fit the Bosch taper. Not sure about the collet nut, but at least it appears the wrench isn’t custom.

Either way, it may still be worthwhile to get a 1/2"-to-ER20 adapter that lives in the router. I say this after running my first program on the 3XL with the Carbide Compact Router, and finding that it with the Z-Plus and a spot drill barely reaches the stock MDF board it comes with, and that’s with it mounted as deep as it could go in the mount. I spot drilled the board for the t-track kit (the front half, anyway), and the drill just barely reached the surface! Fortunately the t-track kit adds 19mm to the Z stack, so that likely won’t be a problem anymore.

If you’re using the SO3 stock mount and adapter you can get a bit more vertical extension by installing the adapter from underneath.

There are also long reach endmills.

The folks at Precise Bits have been active here on the past, and I’ve recommended their products w/o hesitation, but not sure on the specifics of how they make them.

But their collet nuts are apparently only balanced for 20,000 RPM! :frowning_face:
and I wonder what " * Degree of concentricity exceeds the DIN standard. 100% examined" means.

Not that it will really matter, but that will increase runout. You might want to consider that, unlike decent spindles, routers aren’t designed for CNC bi-directional axial loads. The Bosch 1617EVS has a deep race thrust bearing whereas those spindles use angular contact bearings.

1 Like

For “G2.5” — what does that mean in this context?

@WillAdams EDIT (A more useful link):

https://balancemaster.com/ISO-balancing-grades.html

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.