Bottle Cap 3D Carve

I’m working on trying out my first 3d carve, I don’t have CC pro yet but plan on doing this using the free trial. My idea is a bottle cap, roughly 12" round which I may turn into a clock or maybe just a piece of wall art. Do you think it would be easier to make it from 2 separate pieces and doing a glue up, or one piece and flipping it over? Also as a being totally green to 3d carving, what would be a forgiving choice of wood? I was thinking maple but i’m open to any suggestions. Many thanks.

Smaller, but may give you some ideas.

I’m not sure I would call maple “forgiving” but I guess it depends on your perspective. It is hard and holds detail well but too great a DOC or too fast etc, could lead to bit breaking.

I would do a prototype in something softer first like pine or MDF to test. That won’t provide the same level of detail but will allow you to prove out the tool paths and design in general.

2 Likes

Ha, the nuka-cola cap is exactly what I’m thinking of doing so many thanks for that. Have always been a big fan of the Fallout games and watching the new series has put me in the mood to make something.

1 Like

A Nuka Cola clock would be awesome!

1 Like