Bowl bit vs 1/4"

I looked up feeds and speeds for the bowl and tray bit so this must be the issue.

5x8 tray .5" deep on 1.07 walnut 6" wide. (6ft)

CC says the bowl and tray bit will take 63 minutes!!

I fiddled with the stepover to do a rough pass first, then a finish pass but the preview was either completely smooth , not showing the ridges, or there was a big chunk not cut.

But 46 minutes with the 1/4" endmill that ships w/ your shapeoko so something off.

And that’s a long time for a bowl bit anyway, no?

Thanks

It looks like the feed rate of the 3/4" is 10 IPM compared to the feed rate of 60 IMP with the 1/4" endmill.
That would be the time difference.

1 Like

The “big chunk not cut” happens usually when the stepover is exactly half of the diameter. Try dropping the stepover to 0.370, Or bump it up a little & see what works.

1 Like

Ah thanks gents, starting to make sense.

I get the stepover but not sure about feed rates and RPM’s for this.

Don’t want to damage or burn out the wood or router.

How do these numbers look? Found them on a whiteside fourm.

18000 seems fast to me for a 3/4". But if it’s cutting well, go with it. If it starts to burn turn the RPM down.
You may be able to bump the feedrate up as well. Just watch & listen while it cuts & see what you can get away with.

3 Likes

For the RPMS I would not exceed 18,000 using wood.

I start out conservatively with the feed rate and depth per pass.
The feed rate can be manually adjusted with the program running in carbide motion.

Unfortunately it’s not plug and play, as it takes time and extra material to develop a complete program.
I’ve found it hard to give exact numbers because of the different variables involved with each project.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.