Brass Texture with 502

Broke the very tips off a couple 502 engravers trying to run a single layer textured toolpath on C280 brass:

DOC: 0.002"
Step over: 0.004"
Feedrate: 15
RPM: 24000

First time I was running a faster feedrate, so I slowed it down and added a couple drops of WD-40. Got further before it chipped off.

I have a 90deg MC etcher on the way, but I’m not sure if it can do this small of detail.

Given mothers day is around the corner I have some 501 engravers left and I can get some copper quick. Thoughts? Would I just be donating those to the scrap heap as well?

Might just forget the cnc and go straight to acid etch: Acid Etching Brass Plaques - YouTube

The 90 MC Etcher may surprise you. One may have to play with the DOC ( the DOC is one way to change the applied pressure) and the step over to fine tune the lines, but I think the engraving is within its capabilities. Too much applied pressure for the material may cause a loss of definition between closely spaced lines. I don’t know if galling is the appropriate term but it reminds me of galling. Less pressure eliminates it and probably lubrication would help too. (I have never had to try lubrication, so not sure. ) Note that one leaves the spindle / router off with the MC Etcher.

The 502 is significantly more fragile than the 501, so I run it at least 20% slower. The 501 I start at around 14 IPM, so these settings seems a little aggressive to me if using the 502. I’d start closer to 10-12 IPM.

I would also suggest surfacing the MDF before cutting, as even 1 thou of unevenness across the supporting surface will result in your cut being 50% more aggressive than you planned.

1 Like

Mc etcher will do the job.

1 Like

Thanks, it does look like I mixed up the 501 and 502 feeds.

Thanks, look forward to trying the it when it arrives.

I ended up acid etching it because the tools are still in the mail. I etched my own PCB well over a decade ago and just so happened to have acid laying around…go figure. I did mill out a frame for it. Will try the MC Etcher when it arrives to compare results.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.