Brass watch dials?

Hello,
Would the nomad be suitable for producing brass watch dials? They will be 0.4mm brass cut into 30mm discs. I have attached an example of the detail I am looking for, which was made using a 40w fibre laser.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
John

1 Like

The nomad can certainly handle brass without much issue. It’s also quite precise. It may take a bit of time to run a disk, since you have a lot of tiny details there. You’ll need a smaller endmill to get into those finer parts, and those smaller endmills can’t handle as much. The Nomad supports tool changes so you can use a larger bit to hog out most of the material and the smaller bit to get the fine details.

I highly recommend you check out a few of the videos Winston Moy has put out on the carbide 3d channel.

2 Likes

Additional resource to get a feel of the smallest detail you can reasonably get from a Nomad:

2 Likes

And even if it is not fully relevant to your question, check out this wonderful thread on watchmaking on a Shapeoko by master @RichCournoyer. You should be able to draw some conclusions on making parts for watches on the Nomad, which is more precise than the Shapeoko.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the replies!

The example I posted above is far more complex than the standard dials I plan on making. If you’re interested, google ‘sandwich dial’ to see what I have in mind.

I am also planning on using other materials such as mokume gane which also sounds like a piece of cake for the nomad.

1 Like

For cutting mokume gane please see:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.