Breaking file into smaller parts

ah ha. Fixed.

Now if you enter a manual value, no tool ratio will override anymore.

That works great. Thank you so much. That cut my carve time down even more than I expected. I set it to 0.2mm and the file shrunk from 39.1 to 11.3. You are awesome.

I think the only think it is missing is a field to select your material and have it auto-adjust the feeds and speeds. lol

I really canā€™t thank you enough. This tool is amazing.

yeah Iā€™ve been thinking about such a drop down box when I was doing an 12+ hour MDF cutā€¦

MDF really does cut like butter. Itā€™s not technically complicated to build that boxā€¦ the messy part is which multipliers to use for the materialsā€¦ I could make a ā€œcustomā€ field as well for this multiplier in addition to a drop down

btw Iā€™m not surprised on the impact of going from 0.1 to 0.2ā€¦ the impact on file size is more or less square of the delta in stepover (2D and all that)ā€¦ time gain is mostly only linear though

(itā€™s ā€œalmostā€ square since the tool has some dynamic behavior; in the X axis, if there is a large Z delta, it will take smaller steps than the stepover, and that is a higher probability of happening at larger stepovers)

ok basic manual entry box implemented; Drop down with materials is not much harder just need to ponder what values to use for what material

The French in me cannot resist the temptation to note that itā€™s actually spelt ā€œCā€™est La Vieā€ :slight_smile:
But interestingly, ask any French to pronounce ā€œCā€™est Le Vieā€ and they will do it with an American accent.
Ok, Iā€™ll stop disrupting this thread with random irrelevant comments now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, the tool works great. File size is perfect. The only thing I am finding is that once I zero it after the tool change, I have to drop the Z to -1.5-2mm to really get good resolution. At 1.5 it compensates for the slope with the 1mm endmill, but it still leaves a few minor marks from the roughing pass and the 1/4" inch endmill. Again, nothing major and easy enough to work around. Just thought you might like the feedback.

I like the speed adjustment. I must admit, that I have been setting it to 2. Then adjusting up or down as needed, giving me the range of 100-300% in CM.

1 Like

hmm I will check the stock-to-leave on the #201 bitā€¦ it shouldnā€™t be doing marks
thanks for the report

2 Likes

is there any kind of pattern to the marks on where they happen in the design?
or it it just everywhere

2 Likes

Itā€™s only where it did individual plunges. The marks are individual circles the size of the endmill.

So, basically it looks like there are a bunch of injection mold spots around the carving. Again, not very deep.

if it was the individual plunges at the very end of roughingā€¦ then I think those were a bug that I fixed earlier this morning. There was an attempt to keep sharp edges straight, which is fine for finishing pass, but for the roughing pass the right answer would have been to just stay away from itā€¦ which the tool now does

2 Likes

note that if you have some example stl file that shows this I always welcome those :slight_smile: (I appreciate that many files arenā€™t shareable obviously)

also for fun, at Test cuts with the newly installed spindle I showed a small extra tool on top that allows you to cut a design into the 3D carved design using carbide create gcode

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Figuring out how to do something like that was on my bucket list.
Also on my list is figuring out how to make my own STL files.

I am converting a new set of files now and going to re-run the design. I will let you know how it turns out.

One of the more popular tools to make STLs seems to be ā€œblenderā€.
Not for the faint of heart. But lots of good youtube tutorials

Maybe I will check it out some time. I downloaded 3D Builder yesterday but havenā€™t done anything with it yet.

I donā€™t get nearly as much time as I would like to put into my hobby.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.