Broke CNC just in time to keep me from finishing my xmas gifts

I’ve had periodic issues with the VFD working. Found out it’s the connector on my controller board. it was very wiggley (word?) from the beginning, but now has broken off completely. It’s the 6 pin connector that the VFD plugs into on the controller.

Timing could not be worse. I was going to try and find the part on Digikey, put doubt that I would get it before Xmas if I did find and order it. the connecting pins broke off at the board level. If I did get the part, I can solder it in place myself .

I don’t see the point in removing the controller and sending it to you carbide, but will abide by your suggestion.

If you have the part I would gladly pay to have it over-night, but again I have to defer to you.

Please let me know what you would suggest. I have a 3 and 6 y/o great grand daughters that will not receive my main gift to them on time so anything you can do will be greatly appriciated

Charlie

Temporally swap your spindle out with a router. That would get you over the Christmas gift making hump.

4 Likes

Wow. In my frustration, I didn’t even think of that. I have a Makita RT0701C that would work. I’ll try that.
Thanks for being smarter than me.

6 Likes

We all get those moments of frustration focus. I had issues of my own but the trusty router got me through while I waited on more parts.

I had an issue with that same 6 pin socket on the Shapeoko PCB where I thought it was just a bad connection. Recently the solder joint showed to have failed and I had to revert to my trusty Makita. It was only then when I pulled that Makita out of the bin did I find my long lost ear muffs!

Send support a picture or video of the connection issue, they may be able to help out with it. FWIW, when reconnecting the plug side to the socket side, squeeze the two halves gently together with the cover to the PCB off. Pushing the plug into the unsupported socket on the PCB can loosen the soldered connection.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.