Broken Shaft on Y Stepper Motor - Where can I buy backups

Where can I buy SPARE STEPPER MOTORS for the Shapeoko PRO XXL?

I need to make sure I can stay running, support at Carbide is already on sending me a replacement, but I want to have one or two on the shelf to allow me to keep rolling if an issue arises again. Anytime something has broken, and made my machine be down I have tried to stock up on replacement parts so I can keep rolling with minimal downtime.

For reference my Pro runs most days 4-5 hours running mostly aluminum jobs, I have my new HDM here and that will be taking over most of that workload, but the PRO will also be running some i am sure.

Here are some pictures:

1 Like

The problem w/ sourcing replacement stepper motors is that they need:

• correct connector — SO4s and Pros are Micro-fit
  • long enough shaft

I doubt you’ll see a second shaft break (it’s pretty rare), but let us know and we should be able to do a custom invoice — probably better to write in to sales@carbide3d.com and explain that support is already sending you one and you specifically want to buy a spare.

1 Like

Thanks Will I already wrote Sales on the guidance of the Support team. I always hate being down for a day or two, get backed up quite a bit. Can not wait to have the HDM rolling!

1 Like

That type of failure is most likely due to one of the following

• Embedded fault / weakness in the steel of the shaft - rather unlikely to repeat on you

• Over tensioning of the drive belt causing shaft flex, work hardening and this failure mode, generally exactly at the stress point nearest the support bearing. This will repeat on you if the belts are over-tensioned and the stepper manufacturers issue specific guidance on maximum lateral loads and distances.

You could take a close up look a both new surfaces of the broken shaft and look to see if there is any obvious void or inclusion in the steel, if not and it looks like work hardening and brittle fracture, how are you tensioning?

1 Like

For tensioning the belts see:

1 Like

That’s how I tension my belts, took some picts of the shaft today… not sure what to think

1 Like

Does that central fissure like feature go inwards on both halves of the shaft?

1 Like

It looks like it, I’ll look more tomorrow, the crack looks like a flaw in the shaft it seems

1 Like

I’m so glad I came across this, and it’s not just me. I had a shaft break a month ago. Then this afternoon, 28 days later, the shaft on the oposite y-axis broke. The belts are definitely not overly tight (as I double checked after the first break). But here is a pic, let me know what you guys think

Looks like the same flaw as I had in mine, I’m trying to get a spare right one because I know it will go soon too!

Don’t think that is a flaw. That is just the final point where the shaft was rotated and sheared. looks like a std rotational failure… May not be over tensioned, but still a lot of force being applied

Is there any chance that the gantry is binding? That looks like there were extreme rotational forces on the shaft and the motor just sheared the axle.

I think it is a recourse of cutting aluminum almost every day for months. I fill 2-3 5 gallon buckets of chips a week with the PRO and assume that the forces on the steppers may be a bit much. I am hoping my HMD will take on the main duties and then the Pro can do molds/forms etc in wood

My Y- stepper shaft broke last night, and about 3 weeks ago the Y+ stepper broke in the same way. Belts were tensioned as described in the link above using the frequency method with pins set 500mm apart on my S4 XXL. Both times I was running simple jobs running around the cut settings in Carbide Create. The shear of the shaft looks like exactly like the ones in here. Machine was bought new at the end of march.

It seems like a few others have had this issue too, I ordered a spare stepper to keep on hand “when” my other one breaks too

The shaft really needs to be supported on the inboard side of the plates. I wonder if steppers with longer shafts are available, maybe enough to get a support bearing and plate on the other side.

Unfortunately just broke my third stepper shaft on the same machine. (X axis this time). I run two pros side by side with same workload and maintenance. Bought about a year apart though, so I’m wondering if this machine just had a bad batch. Carbide support sent me a replacement for the first, and we’re also helpful in helping me order 2 extra steppers to have on hand. Turned out to be a good idea!

Please contact us about the broken one anyway — if still considered as a warranty claim we owe you a motor.

:point_up:This is why (for better or for worse lol) I will never buy from another Cnc company. Customer service and support is unreal.

1 Like

Are the 2 idler pulley’s lined up parallel? they look skewed one out farther the the other, may be an optical illusion though, if they are not aligned this would put some unusual strain on the shaft.