Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

Oh as for the side by side, I got an Amana 51377-Z end mill and ordered some of this:

that I was planning on using for the test.

I have a few sf Amanas. Wasn’t actually a fan of the 51377-Z’s geometry and price/performance in 6061. A 2L Inc diamond SF is about half the cost and runs nice, both don’t like more than 20krpm though.

Maybe we can share the file that way its a good representation. I’m moving in two weeks so anytime before that lol

I trust your judgement for some reason on the end mill. LOL. Is it this one:

https://www.2linc.com/endmills-1-4-diamond.htm

Let me know and Ill order one, and yeah definitely on sharing the file. Stock should be here by the 15th. Its cutting it close on your move date though.

@Vince.Fab I ordered that 2L Inc endmill. Ill let you know when the stock and the endmill come in.

The endmill and the stock came in. I am trying to think of a good test piece we can machine.

1 Like

Since cutting forces are inversely proportional to cutter diameter and speed for a given MRR/cutting power, a larger diameter and/or higher speed cutter might help ensure that your tests are router power limited rather than machine rigidity limited. This 1" diameter router bit at 30,000 RPM should enable 6 times more power draw (and MRR) than a 1/4" endmill at 20,000 RPM for the same cutting forces.

Although it’s designed for wood, it’s probably fine for easy cutting plastics (like UHMW) too. Using something like that (rather than wood) would make tests more repeatable and enable easier comparison with results from others, especially is a common manufacturer is used.

Here’s a couple of other thoughts on testing strategies from me and @wmoy.

I would strongly advise against spinning a 1" cutter at near 8,000 sfm. My personal sfm upper limit is 3,000 and tool life becomes an issue at those kinda speeds.

Unless the cutter is specially balanced, those speeds can be dangerous.

1 Like

Amana rates it for 35,000 RPM maximum speed.

2 Likes

Really!?
Someone with a Pro should try it out…and an enclosure just in case lol

Freud 1" (12-172) endmill slotting Santos Mahogany ~0.2" deep at 146 IPM at 17,000 RPM (24,000 RPM no load speed) with “2.25 HP” Bosch EVS1617 router in my router table. 31 cu-in/min MRR and 11.4 lbf calculated average cutting force. “No guts no glory” :wink:
Santos 5i.zip (1.1 MB)

Quick video showing the Dewalt being controlled by the ODriveGUI tool on my touchscreen.

Things left to do are to wire in the temperature probe and hook up the Odrive to the Carbide PWM output via my new adapter board.

3 Likes

What did you end up using to supply power? I came across this interesting video looking for power supplies for another project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lF1sIgIlA

I got this guy for less than $100 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VGLT7C

They have since raise the price.

Don’t you need a 42 Amp power supply?

So I was told to think of the ODrive kind of like a transformer. It takes one voltage / current source and converts it to a different voltage and current. It maintains the power though. So the 48V at 21A gets turned into something like 10V at 100A to the motor using PWM. The higher input voltage though allows for a higher top speed (not that I trust the Dewalt’s stock bearings at 80k RPM).

Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the rebel base, I have chosen to test this station’s cutting power on your home planet of Alderaan

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Yup - It’s apparently like a switch mode power supply (SMPS) - thanks for reminding me! :slightly_smiling_face:
Did you measure the motor’s Kv?

The Dewalt is 1650kV.

2 Likes

Finally got everything in place to route some Aluminum with the Dewalt. Made this fine piece with the 2L Single Flute Diamond Coated Endmill @Vince.Fab suggested:

(Yes it is a silly little mount for my air blast line)
Then when the cutting was done managed to do this:

The wire got caught in the HDZ while it was retracting. Luckily the spindle was off when it did that. Reminder folks, proper wire routing is your friend.

5 Likes

So that little mishap drove me to actually get the wiring properly sorted. This included wiring up the motor thermistor and configuring it in the ODrive.