Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

Maybe compatible?
4 contact one for motor windings?

1 Like

The four contact is for the buttons on the front of the router which I was planning on re-purposing for controls on the Arduino.

1 Like

Is there a connector for battery - winding power?

1 Like

There is a 5 contact connector for the hall effect sensor, a 4 contact connector for the front lock and on/off buttons. Both of those are those connectors from JAM I linked earlier. There is also a connector for the illumination LEDs at the bottom which is different, but I have a few laying around. Will figure out the spec on that later. Then there are a +, -, and sense wires for the battery. Those are just standard locking spade connectors. The wires to the motor windings are using crimp style wirenuts which were a bitch to get off.

1 Like

Did you look at that linked possibly compatible JST that Digikey has?
What’s the resistance of the windings?

1 Like

Saw the connector, but I do not think that will work. Probably just going to put a Dupont connector on it.

The windings are 21ohms from pole to pole.

My ESC and PS arrived. The PS is a nice Mean Well with spot on 24 volts. The ESC however gave off magic smoke when I plugged it in. I am just going to get an ODrive (https://odriverobotics.com/). I know that can handle this motor. Its mostly meant for robotics so it is kind of overkill, but it is a place to start.

1 Like

Scratch that. I went with a VESC based option. They directly support the hall effect sensor and are used on electric skateboards so should have no issues handling this motor.

2 Likes

Using the drill method for calculating KV rating it looks like this is a 800KV motor. Which does not seem right as it would take 38V to reach 30k RPM on that.

1 Like

Making me rethink using the VESC I have in the garage. Would the standard motor controller be easier to hook up? Wiring ain’t my strong suit

1 Like

Which standard motor controller? The one in the router?

1 Like

Maybe it’s a 2 pole motor (assuming you measured frequency rather than RPM).

1 Like

That is it. I am a dummy. It has two poles. So half the RPM which doubles the KV.

1 Like

21 Ohms, are you sure?

1 Like

Nope. LoL. Should be much lower.

1 Like

Ahh. My multimeter cannot properly check resistances that low.

1 Like

This is the VESC I have on order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL7D1WC

The three fat black wires on one side go to the blue, white, and orange wires coming from the motor. The Red and Black wires on the other side go to your Power Supply. The six conductor wire harness they provide needs to be wired up to the five connector plug on the motor. The extra wire is for a temperature sensor that our motor does not have (though I am going to be adding one because I like additional monitoring data). Once it actually arrives I will figure out the exact wiring for that connector.

If you have a link to the VESC you have I will happily take a look and try to figure out the wiring for you.

2 Likes

Is the Shapeoko Carbide 3D router brushless?

No it is not. There are two holes on either side to replace the brushes.

2 Likes

My VESC is a 30amp one that ran a hub sensorless motor on an ESkate. It would be interesting to actually be able to program the motor characteristics. See how much juice the Makita can really handle lol. I’ve tripped it a couple times due to load but that was with 0.375 roughing in aluminum.

I assume it wouldn’t be very tough to input a pwm signal right? Mine looks very similar to the one you linked.

1 Like

That’s the idea. Need to creep up on it though.

1 Like