Buying a CNC for the First Time

I am a advanced hobbyist and have had one of the early shapeoko XL cnc machines using the carbide post processor (carbide motion, and carbide create.) The software is free, while other machines you have to purchase these softwares separately . I choose to use carbide, because it works, no issue with the machine compatibility. I speak from experience there is a simi- steep learning curve that you will face, but carbide has been there every step for every issue and answered many questions. Their software is intuitive and very capable to provide you a basis of your company. As you grow in techniques, you may desire to move to more advanced software, the shapeoko digests very easily, but the learning curve is again presented for creation. Of all the machines in the market, Shapeoko is my choice for quality, service and support bare non. Cruse to YouTube and search CNC and you’ll fine many videos of many machine , many techniques and this will give you a good idea of the needs to contemplate for jumping into the cnc purchase. Besides the CNC machine , you need space for the machine, basic cutting bits and some help to assemble the machine, some form of vacuum system as the CNC is a dust and chip maker. Do you homework. Tom

4 Likes

Hi Kathy, I have the Shapeoko 4XL and am thrilled with it. I had no prior CNC training or knowledge. For me, the learning curve was very fast. Probably the best tip I received was using picsvg.com It is a website that converts pictures into SVG files that can be imported into Carbide Create. The current project I am working on is making a 12x24 sign with a picture of my cousin’s candy store on it. I’ve posted a picture of it for you to see.

I guess this is a drawn out answer to say I have been very happy with my Shapeoko. I wish you and your husband success in your new business.

Tom

1 Like

I was a new to the CNC world about 2 years ago and in the same mind set, after reading and poking around A LOT into the build quality and software for each machine, i bought a used 3XXL,the main reason was the ease of use on the software and customer support i read about, and its true, there customer support is pretty unbelievable, i get reply’s to emails and calls withing hours.For wood and light metal the machines are about the same in quality, i went to a local guy who had onefininety, he even said he should have gone with he shapeoko, So far Shapeoko community has been pretty helpful.
So much so I just bought the new 5 Pro,(im doing more and more aluminum )
but my 3xxl did fine with it also, just slower on metal.( alo its now for sale with bit zero & bit setter and some bits ), Good luck, you’ll be happy with the machine .if your interested in mine EDIT: personal e-mail removed — please use a PM instead.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.