Buying a Used Nomad 3

New to the community and am looking to buy a used Nomad 3 preferably in the New England area (though open to shipping). Two quick questions:

Where is the best place to locate used machines (perhaps it is here)?

What are the things I should look for when evaluating the condition of a used machine / what are best practices for avoiding lemons (if such a thing exists)?

I appreciate any and all assistance!

1 Like

Facebook Marketplace, Offerup, Ebay.

Be very careful. Try to visit the seller and see it in Production.

Good Luck

1 Like

I found my S3 on Craigslist. I did see it running in person and it was (relatively) local.

3 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/groups/232744457133521/user/100027040817551/

1 Like

I buy and sell on craigslist and would not buy any machine that I could see demonstrated. People fib about the condition of machines a lot. I have seen rusty lathes that people post as excellent. Since you dont really know what to look for educate yourself about what a Nomad 3 is and how it operates. Then if the seller cannot demonstrate it is pig in a polk buying a machine without a demonstration. It could be good but it could also be a bad machine. People here on the forum do not seem to have a lot of issued with Nomad’s in general but you have to go fore armed to get yourself a good working machine. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark.

To start with you open CM and jog the machine around to its limits on all 3 axis. Then have the demonstrator create a simple project, mount some material and cut it out. If they do not know how or will not demonstrate I would pass on that machine.

Since you are considering buying used what accessories come with the machine is important. The basic machine is just the start. The bits and things like calipers add up quick. So if you can get the bits and accessories thrown in that would be a bonus. A lot of the tools are $20.00 each so they add up quick. Also consider the general condition. If it has a thick coat of dust it has not been used in a while.

The good news is the parts are available from C3D for any problems that arise. If the machine is new enough to have a warranty Rob just posted on another post that you can get the warranty transferred as long as you have the original owners invoice number and email address. Check with C3D sales/support to address warranty transfer coverage before buying.

1 Like

Thank you for all the great feedback folks, it’s very much appreciated!

One other thing I’ve been thinking about is what a fair price for a used but well-maintained machine should be. Assuming no extras and before shipping/pickup costs, just the Nomad 3, if one can get a new unit for $2800, does it even make sense to go for a used unit if the prices I’ve seen locally here only seem to be a few hundred off the sticker price…would it make more sense to just get a new unit (with the training sessions and full warranty intact)? I know that’s a tough question / subjective, but happy to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Total up the value of a matching number of training sessions:

and the cost of containers of Superlube and Mobil Vactra No. 2 if not included to help arrive at a valuation?

There is something to be said for a local pickup with no need to wait for shipping times.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.