Buzzing sound on startup

Placeholder for moving posts

So, after having to fix some broken chain links, misaligned parts and a few other quality issues, I finally was able to complete the assembly of my 5 PRO.

The moment of truth had finally arrived! My wife was out there to experience the joy of powering-up, for the first time, our investment in what we hope will be the center of an eventual side-kick business of CNC-carved craft works.

5…4…3…2…1…

BUZZZZ!!! GRIND!!!

What the heck? Well, to shorten this here is the spiel:

When I power up my Shapeoko 5 Pro for the first time I hear a lound grating/buzzing sound, there is no movement, and the LED assembly on the gantry does not light up. This is the message that I left and also put in a callback request. Since I have had a few quality issues already I am on week 2 trying to get this thing to at least do something.
Here is an update after some diagnostics:

1. The buzzing/grating sound is coming from the controller (black box).
  2. None of the motors turn when power is applied, nor do they turn when removed but still plugged in.
  3. Removing all of the motors and disconnecting power to them one by one prior to power-up leads to a sound decrease in the controller box . The order of descending loudness/grating is as follows:
    (Note that “loudness” refers to the buzzing/mechanical grating sound emanating from the black controller box)
    a. Z-axis motor (loudest - definitely a buzzing/harsh grating sound from the controller)
    b. Y-axis motor (2nd loudest, mild grating, buzzing)
    c. X-axis motors - contribute a little bit to the buzzing.
    d. No motors - No grating sound and a ~6 -12 dB decrease in buzzing but still there (in the controller).
  4. Also we are able to manually turn the bearing screws at the motor mounts without issue and move the gantry. A check on squareness of the assembly was unremarkable (it’s square).
  5. Manually attempting to push the gantry (ver very slowly of course, a motor in reverse operating mode is a generator, wiring disabled too) with the motor in is 10X more difficult. I suspect however that there is a mechanical advantage issue here.
    With or without motors powered, the LED assembly on the gantry remains off.

Any ideas on the issue at hand?

PS. I turn on the power for about a second and then turn it off during these diagnostic tests. Since I have no other diagnostics to perform I am leaving the unit off to avoid potential damage.

Moderators, would you please move this topic into the CNC Machines forum please?

Thank you!

Bummer that you are having a problem powering up. I have had my machine for a little over a month and there were no issues hooking everything up and initializing. It sounds like the controller has a problem, or you have a loose wire somewhere. An easy check would be to make sure you don’t have something like a pushed-out pin on any of the motor connectors. Hopefully they will call you back soon to get you running. I have had really good results working with their support people for other stuff.

I checked every wire connection and in fact, sent them a photo of each connection except the bitsetter node, but I even checked that and it was OK.

Personally I think that I might have received a defective controller. The Infant Mortality Effect would explain this.

Is this during Initialization? I am at a similar point with mine. It sounds like it is trying to move to a home position, but it is already is at the limit. In my case, I have a bad sensor. What is the current location of the X,Y,Z axis?

Gantry is all of the way to the front. Z-axis is centered and in the up position. I removed each motor one-by-one and sure enough, the Z-axis motor disconnect cause the most buzzing in the controller box, followed by the Y-axis motor. No motor turns at all on power-up. I only did the tests for a split second to avoid damage and now it is shut down because all of the diagnostics that I am able to do are complete.

I requested a call-back Friday. Have not received one yet. Tried again Saturday. Still waiting. Did get a short one-line response I believe Friday night or Saturday afternoon but still waiting on tech support.

Yes, it is actually immediately upon power-up. I really did not/do not want to test the sensors as it has already been powered up a total of about 3-4 seconds and fear damage if I keep turning it on.

When you turn the power on, does it immediately start the motors going? On mine, the LED lights come on, but it doesn’t do anything else.

Technical Support called today and the service was very very good. They are shipping out some new parts overnight and will assist in the install to check diagnostics and/or residual issues as I reassemble. It was very cool to do a video call via phone with them as the tech was able to both see and hear what was going on.

So far Tech Support, along with Sales, get an A+.

1 Like

Got my call back today and new parts are on the way! Brandon and Joshua on the Support Team are great. Very happy with the follow up!

I spoke with Joshua. He was great! Funny, he mentioned after that I told him that I was an EE that he was a retired Navy Tech. So I told him about a navy tech that I started my engineering career 30 yrs ago that was promoted to lead engineer. I had just gotten my MSEE and this guy taught me the in’s and outs of semiconductor devices better than any of my professor had, and had done it in plain English. I have worked with five navy techs in my career and well I don’t know what they put in the water on those ships, I can say those guys are sharp as a tack.

1 Like

Joshua helped me all last weekend to find my faulty sensor. Great guy!

2 Likes

Yes he is. Very amicable and friendly guy.

None of the motors move at all, neither does the LED array light up. Just an annoying buzz that is exacerbated by the Z-axis and Y-axis motors. When I unplug them the buzzing in the controller decreases by -12 and -6 dBSPL respectively.