C2d file information

I’m new to CNC routing. Are there any utilities to give information about a .c2d file without having to open the file in carbide create and step thru all of the possible options?

The only tool I’m aware of which touches on this is cutrocket.com

I was just curious if there was a program that would display the information that is stored in the c2d file.
It would make it easier to see what the file is using. Rather than open up the file.

What exactly might you want to see? I haven’t yet familiarized myself with the Carbide Create Pro .c2d file contents, but having written multiple utilities and plugins dealing with .c2d files, if I know what you’re thinking, I’ll better be able to answer whether it’s something that makes sense.

(And by “makes sense”, it could be that I might even actually mean “is something that piques my interest and ends up as another fun programming project”.)

2 Likes

I’ve determined that the c2d file is on json format with some hex data at the end. If you strip the hex data you can use powershell to display data from the file.
I thought that it would be nice to know the size of the material type of material, the tool bits used etc

1 Like

Looking at a Carbide Create Pro type .c2d file, I see that binary blob appended to the end. I suppose I understand why they did that instead of having it in the JSON data (which would require it to be encoded, increasing the size and adding some overhead), but I’m going to have to rewrite all my python, since it breaks the json parser. Yay.

I’ve got this so far. Not sure how much I want to display.
.\c2dinfo
F:\MyFence1.c2d
Machine: Shapeoko XXL
HEIGHT: 127
WIDTH: 431.79999999999995
MATERIAL: Hard
THICKNESS: 13.208
BUILD_NUM: 413

Pathname: Toolpath 7
Tool Number: 201
Start_depth: 0
End_Depth: -6.35
Pathname: Toolpath 8
Pathname: Large Holes For Washers
Pathname: Through Holes For Bolts
End_Depth: -12.7
Pathname: Profile Cutout For Fence
End_Depth: -12.7

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.