*.c2d-journal file impact

I searched the C3D community and while there was a similar topic opened 2 years ago, it was never resolved, so here is what I’m experiencing:

Symptom:

• An additional file is created with a ‘c2d-journal’ extension when saving a CC file.
  • Once the ‘c2d-journal’ file exists (in the same directory) the original CC source file appears to no longer be “usable".
    • However, removing the ‘c2d-journal’ file allows CC to re-open the original c2d source file without losing any work.

Steps to recreate:
MacOS: 14.5
CC: 774 (pro lic)

Note: this first happened on CC v764, so I upgraded to v774 this morning, but still experienced the symptom.

What’s the purpose of this file and is there a resolution/fix?

I’ve never seen this on Windows, so I assume it’s a Mac thing. MacOS (Extended) since V10 (I think) is a journaling file system. Although I would have expected it used a database file to do the journaling rather than a unique file for each individual file???
Does this happen to every CC file? Or intermittently? If you close CC, does it go away? Or if you open a different file?
I’m not a Mac user, but I was an old Unix geek so I (kinda) understand what journaling is.
Hopefully this will lead you down the right path… :wink:

1 Like

It appears to only happen once an >>existing<< C2D file reaches, or seems to cross some sort of ‘tool-path threshold’ meaning that it doesn’t happen to simple files with very few tool paths, or to very large files the first time issuing a “Save-As”. However, once the new ‘save-as’ file has been created/saved, a simple ‘save’, or ‘CMD-S’ will generate the journal file.

Once the journal file exists, closing the file then re-opening it (ie: file-open, or open-recent) will result in an empty screen implying all work was lost. Exiting from CC doesn’t help…ie: the next time you start CC, if the journal file exists for a file you want to open, the file will appear to be empty.

However, deleting the journal file from the working directory >>before<< trying to open the C2D file will correctly load the file so you can resume working on it.

Begin IMO:
So, I doubt this is tied to an operating system’s journaled file system structure. Rather, it seems (to me) to be localized to CC’s ‘track changes’ algorithm, by mishandling the parameters passed to the system once the number of changes being tracked exceeds a buffer’s size, or exceeds some other (non-fatal) memory condition.
End IMO:

Here’s the journal file. I used a text editor to view the human readable portion of it. It appears an SQL call blew up, but don’t quote me.

(note: I added .pdf to the file name so it would upload). Just rename it so you can use a text editor to open/view it.

Squirty Cheese Board-test.c2d-journal.pdf (12.5 KB)

Here’s a screen scrape of the ‘human readable’ portion just in case you have trouble opening it.

That looks like an sql journal. I believe c2d files are sql databases.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.