Cabin Sign Process Photos

Hey all,

This was a leftover stair tread. First time I’ve used the texture feature.

Lots of work on transferring a logo.

A bunch of hand painting.

Satin poly to help it age well.

6 Likes

1 Like

23 Likes

Very nice, now that the job is done I’d say it’s time to go fishing. :smiley: :fish:

1 Like

This is amazing. Can you share the Toolpath Settings and the bit type/size you used for the texture?

I’m interested in the toolpath depths you used as well. Looks like you pocketed out ~1/4" then textured below. My rendering doesn’t show crisp lines when I do that and wondering if it’s just the simulation or if I’m not doing something right

Hey @ben2ek, not trying to ignore you. This time of year is crazy for me.

This is the first time I’ve used the texture feature and I noticed what you were experiencing on my tests, that it didn’t automatically produce any clean edges. My solution was to use the Offset Vectors tool to create a new boundary 1/16th away (half the diameter of the tool I was using to texture) from the edges I wanted to look crisp. I pocketed down to 0.2 inches, starting the texture at 0.15. Then I made another pass with a 1/16th endmill 0.1 inches down to create a sharp edge, contouring the desired text.

You can see the double line around the word “The”, as well as the trees, and basically any detail.

2 Likes

Not sure the rules on this exactly, but here is the carbide create file for this sign.

The Millers.c2d (1.0 MB)

1 Like

That makes sense, thank you! This gives me some good stuff to work off of.

Looks like the file has the orders reverse, though I’m sure you just re-ran in steps.

1 Like