Calibrate with BitZero

I got my Nomad back from repair and the calibration of center is off by about 1/16".

Is there a way I can use a bit zero to recalibrate it?

Where do you believe center should be? How are you determining it is off?

I have several flip jigs that I’m using in production. They use the machine center as X, Y zero.

You can adjust where the Rapid Position center falls by changing the Travel Dimensions or adjusting the position of the homing switch.

That said, it’s best not to use center for two-sided jigs since it doubles any error.

Yeah these jigs are circular pockets centered on the table. The first operation obviously doesn’t matter on center, then the part is fitted to this jig to machine the other side. So the jig is only used on one side. It was accurate prior to repair.

Not sure what you’re recommending, if there’s a thread I can follow.

add: of course I can remake the jigs based on whatever this new center is, but if I have a means of calibrating it first, I’d have something to adjust to in the future. And it’s far enough off that I’d like to be closer to the bed.

That’s why I was thinking maybe I could just bitzero the corner of the bed and make that the new left corner or something.

Shouldn’t you rezero everytime you switch on anyway as the homing switch is unlikely to be perfect/.

You’ll need to work out where the center of the machine is relative to the center of the jig and adjust appropriately.

Yeah of course rezero. It’s not a zeroing issue. It’s a matter of C not being where C was before repair. And my purpose of the thread being, can bitzero give a coordinate from the bed of the machine that could be used in “resetting” C if something like this were to happen.

Based on replies I assume no.

There’s a calibration mechanism for the Nomad — please check in w/ support@carbide3d.com — there should be some adjustment to the location of the homing switch.

If the GRBL config has changed you could change the x and y back to what is written on the calibration card.
If nothing but the control board has been changed that worked for me after service.

I don’t have a calibration card, it didn’t come with one. But yeah I think that’s what I’m trying to figure out. That or define a new x, y going forward. Carbide customer service is no help. But yeah I think what you’re describing is exactly what I’m trying to do.

Could I pull whatever the current values are and create a new x, y in config?

I am not 100% on this.
But sending $$ in MDI with the log running returns your current config.
$100 and $101 should be the currently set SW corner.
For me it is $100=199.248 and $101=199.355 or something like that.
Your current position is relative though, you don’t get current position anywhere i can see.

But if the values are $100=200 and $101=200 you can try setting zero with bitzero on the corner, then rapiding to SW corner to see if there is any offset between table and calibrated XY.
And just update the grbl values +/- with $101= and then 200 minus the offset on your current X/Y
Or to suit your needs. Of you know exactly where your ccenter should be you can use some offset from this.

I am not 100% sure which one is X and Y. Just test a little bit or maybe it is on some wiki somewhere.

$100 is X, $101 is Y (GRBL doc)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.