Calibrated Belt Stretch...now super slow cutting

So I followed the formula Drawn distance / Measured distance x 40 = New step mm.
I made 3 holes in a right triangle formation, 8mm diameter

Holes:

(Bot/-Y)

For holes A to B, the eye to eye distance was 50mm, but I measured the 2 closest edges between A and B (42mm) I was getting 42.30mm when it was suppose to be 42mm length. The holes were 8mm diameter, 4mm deep.

so 42/ 42.3 = 0.9929078014184397 x 40 = 39.71631205673759/mm

$101=39.71631205673759

Did this for Y ($101) as well. B and C (X- $100)

After doing this, I noticed the The A-B distance was 42.01 , but the B-C distance was still off but that wasnā€™t the most peculiar thingā€¦the weird thing was as I was pocketing the holes (4mm depth) it ended up going super slow, almost like it was stuttering, like someone was pressing play and pause rapidly. I was cutting stuff earlier and it was fine didnā€™tā€™ do this, after i entered a new $100/101 valueā€¦it started doing this.

1. What did I mess up?
  2. is the distance for AB = Y, and BC = X or am I wrong?
  3. Does it matter if I use mm measurements?
  4. I couldnā€™t figure out the command or how to see what the current step/mm isā€¦ like what is $100, $101, $102. When I clicked on log , it was blank, and a number counter kept climbing up but no information was being displayed. Is it suppose to que up or when I hit log, it should be instant? When I tried to input MDI, $$ nothing happened.
  5. what is the command to reset to default settings, should Ctrl + X work? or how do i reset the x/y step/mm to factory. (or is it just as easy as $100=40)

GRBL: v 0.9 ( I thinkā€¦)
Shapeoko 3 XXL ( I bought this 4 weeks ago)

Bit:
5/16 4 flute end mill
DOC: 3mm
Step: 3mm
Feed: 1000mm
Plunge: 300mm

Material: MDF (I will retest on a sturdier material tonight)

Thanks in advanced, I got about 4 hrs before iā€™m off work, then iā€™ll be at it all night trying to dial this machine in.

The only thing I can think of is you inadvertently changed one of the acceleration settings.

Please compare your settings against the defaults at: http://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/shapeoko-3-default-grbl-settings/

If thatā€™s not it, perhaps something has gone wrong w/ the machine which isnā€™t related to the Grbl setting?

Ok, will compare settings tonight.

If I want to reset to factory default, is there shortcut command? or I have to input manually.

from: http://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/shapeoko-3-default-grbl-settings/

Step 5: From the info pane, you can load the default Values by pressing āŒ˜+1 (ctl+1 on windows).

When I compared the values, they were the same.

I changed $100/101 to 40 and tried to cut some holes. This is what was going on during the cutting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wC-O9NU26saxcMJ11df2oUYJKw5ySB1v

This is after doing a reset
Ctrl + 1 to reset the GRBL values, and not touching anything.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r06CEdnnhxhNmru9A99M2SgRrDOPqbcbhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1r06CEdnnhxhNmru9A99M2SgRrDOPqbcb

I want to know how to see the Log statistic of G-Code in CM + GRBL 1.1 now it is different and I am sending my codes blindly. They guide me please. Thank you!.

I need answer !. Please , help me .
http://community.carbide3d.com/u/robgrz

Just in case this happens to anyone else.

So I turned off the machine, and let it sit for 15 min, I thought maybe it had something to do with the stepper motors being super hot even thou they werenā€™t doing anything. When I switched it back on, everything was normal again, no more stuttering. Not sure if this was related to cooling it off, or when I shut down the machine, it truly ā€œresetā€ everything in GRBL.

1 Like

In CM, go to settings (top right corner). On that page, look for ā€œOpen Logā€. This should open up a window in your default internet browser. In CM, go to MDI window and type in $$ and hit ā€œSendā€ to see your current settings displayed in the browser.

2 Likes

I do not know what happens, but Iā€™m not working , at the beginning a list that does not stop, but does not show our basic G-Code, to say something: $ 20 = 0, I can not see the G-Code that I have assumed Yes, but I can not see it, something is happening!.

Look at how different we were in the past or my question would be: What am I doing wrong?

I agree with everything, I enjoy talking about Carbide 3D, but I also want to learn, if it is annoying to want to have a better understanding and comfort in the software that CM works with, if I have my belts in the tension required by the S3 also I want to see it easily in CM, but at this moment it is not comfortable for me, maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong, I do not know, I come here to help but I also want to help me understand my mistakes, I do not come to bother anyone, I feel discriminated against for not having the English language as my mother tongue, however, here I am trying to communicate in the best way, I apologize. Thanks to everyone, they do not know how much I have received from you.

Please accept our apologies for your difficulties. You should not feel badly about your mastery of English ā€” itā€™s excellent (far better than my one year and 1 day of high school French). If itā€™s more comfortable, we do have a partner who is fluent in Spanish ā€” just write in to support@carbide3d.com and weā€™ll have @Jorge respond in kind. Weā€™ve another employee who speaks French, but that maxes out our linguistic capabilities Iā€™m afraid (Iā€™ve pretty much forgotten the Korean and Japanese which I learned when I was younger).

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com w/ any difficulties which you are having and weā€™ll do our best to help.

The company is too small, and with limited resources, so direct support beyond that isnā€™t feasible, but the community has had some success at putting together glossaries in other languages ā€” thus far we have:

If anyone wants to volunteer to do another language, weā€™d be glad of any.

@JoseD3 I think if you made your own thread, it would get more assistance. You kinda jumped into my thread and it got tangled up a bit.

Not sure about 1.1, but I have to scroll up after typing in $$ to see the settings. Can you use your mouse wheel and scroll up on the log after sending $$?

1 Like