Can you use polywood on cnc router?

I want to use polywood to make a sign. is this advisable? ?is there any special bits for this purpose?

Wood is wood, Sure can.

Polywood is not wood,

1 Like

Polywood is HDPE that is treated to resist fading in sunlight. The only question in my mind would be is the piece solid or hollow.
HDPE can be used on a CNC router; you’ll need to use feeds and speeds (and bits) compatible with plastics.

2 Likes

Do you mean:

That is recycled plastic, I believe PE, so it cuts like HDPE — see the videos on plastics at:

1 Like

no, for sign making.

I meant, do you mean the material

polywood

or did you mean

plywood

I agree but want durability and longevity, besides customer will supply material

polywood is outdoor project . a sign.

Yes, one could cut polywood so as to make a sign on a CNC machine using suitable tooling and feeds and speeds.

I was replying to Eric’s comment that wood is wood, when in this case it isn’t.

Woah! My apologies, as usual My poor vision, slight dyslexia and lack of taking the time to look more closely, I have misread the question. I was reading plywood, and yes that is wood. But technically My statement of yes is still correct, POLYWOOD or HDPE can be cut on a CNC.

Yea you can use plywood. Just make sure you pay attention to the different levels between the layers. Also there is more chances of having voids and various types of wood under the top layer. Make sure to use downcut bit. I use plywood for most of my flags.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.