Cant edit a square

Hi

So why when I create a Square, I can come back later, click on it and edit it again But if I
rotate it 45 degrees. I can no longer edit it ?
I tried this on CC 6 and 7

Thanks

I have not had that problem unless I have used the scale command previously on the rectangle/square. So if you cannot edit in the regular way you can use the scale command and either keep the proportion or uncheck it and manually insert the measurements.

1 Like

Thanks.
Lets try a simple test :slight_smile:

I create two 1 inch squares, side by side in a new project ( Square Squares, no Corners )
I take the second one and rotate it 45 degrees
The one I didn’t rotate I can edit the corners and the radius
Then the one I rotated I can now longer edit

This is the same if I do add corners
I am trying to dial in the look of the radius corners but cant edit the corners of the ones I rotated
but can of the ones I have not Hmmm

Thanks

here is my file
test.c2d (7.4 KB)

If you rotate a Square, it is no longer a Square (the CC internal representation). It’s ‘just’ four connected lines now.

It’s a bit confusing, but I can see (from a coding point of view) why they did it that way.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Reminds me of the Shreddies commercial.
If you turn it 45 degrees it is no longer a square it is a the new an improved diamond shape:)

To me, it is still a square, it is just turned. Kinda a pain as you cant turn it back. as soon as you turn it, it is done . :frowning: Maybe something to fix in the future :slight_smile: @robgrz

If you are trying to fit it to another object, rotate that object -45°, fit the rounded square to the object, then rotate them both +45°. ??? Or just use the fillet or corner tools ??

Correct. A square/rectangle ceases to be a square when it is rotated, and the only editing possible is node editing, Corner rounding, and using the Trim Vectors tool or Boolean operations if geometry overlapping it is also selected.

Work-around is to unrotate it, re-create the rectangle by control-clicking on opposing corners to get a rectangle which can be edited, then restoring the rotation.

1 Like

Guess I should read the release notes better!! Center-Corner rectangle creation was driving me nuts.

Would it be a low-hanging-fruit enhancement to add this to the circle tool as well?

Presumably. I’ve asked. We’ll see, but it will have to wait until CC cycles around to being worked on again, and we’re currently all-in on Shapeoko 5 Pro production…

EDIT: also see:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.