Carbide 3D People - Microwave_Monkey - Scott Dix Profile

In our Carbide 3D People series we profile members of the community that have distinguished themselves through the items they make or the help they offer to others. Scott Dix, @Microwave_Monkey has accomplished both those things.
I had the chance to visit him last Fall at his home shop in Knoxville, TN.

Hope you enjoy learning more about a member of this community.

10 Likes

That was very good Kevin and Scott

2 Likes

It was awesome - wish we got to see more of your shop and cnc setup though @Microwave_Monkey

Btw - is the background in this screenshot I took from YouTube using texture? And if so, is it one piece of wood or two?

1 Like

A really nice piece Scott, cool of C3D to spotlight folks who give so freely.

@Microwave_Monkey, I’ve wondered from day 1 about your screen name, care to share?

2 Likes

I’m sure Scott will drop you an answer here. His use of the texture toolpathing is really creative. You can see it in several pieces and follow the progression of it through his art. Best use of that pathing that I’ve seen.

2 Likes

I noticed it in a few pieces he showed…I’ve never seen a great way to use it until now

@Intohouse it was textured using Carbide Create (version 474). And it is one piece of wood.

I use a 2 flute .125" ball mill. Here are my settings for that particular cut:
stepover: .040"
stepover variation: 60%
min depth: .040"
max depth: .080"
min length: 2"
max length: 5"
min overlap: 15%
max overlap: 45%
angle: 0.0

and I offset the texture about .080" away from everything I don’t want it to cut because the texture path takes the center of the endmill to your intended geometry as opposed to staying fully inside/outside of it.

@Griff my username was inspired by a quote from the sci-fi book series “The Expanse” where one of the main characters is describing how people are interacting with an unknown technology, which I thought was a perfect description for how I felt dipping my toe into CNC routing with only a high school education (albeit some college) and some moderate experience swinging a hammer…

“Holden was starting to feel like they were all monkeys playing with a microwave. Push a button, a light comes on inside, so it’s a light. Push a different button and stick your hand inside, it burns you, so it’s a weapon. Learn to open and close the door, it’s a place to hide things. Never grasping what it actually did, and maybe not even having the framework necessary to figure it out. No monkey ever reheated a frozen burrito. So here the monkeys were, poking the shiny box and making guesses about what it did.”

7 Likes

My favorite streaming series, haven’t got around to reading the books yet but their on my list.

Perfect analogy, I completely identify as I was in your same shoes back when I started the CNC adventure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.