Carbide 3D Touch Probe not working

Hello All,
Just installed my touch probe. SO3 with HDZ z axis.
Green to red light test working.
Probing Z ( my primary interest ) Using 1/4" dowel pin for tool. ( Thankfully )
Z continues to plunge and have to stop machine or one time touched off and stopped with " probing failure " warning.
Tried multiple times, no luck.

Thanks in advance !
Brian

Hopefully, the pin is metallic! :smiley:
There is an instructional page on how to use the probe on the website.

1 Like

Steel dowel. Followed all the videos. Still doing something wrong.

You must have a reason to be zeroing on something that you won’t be cutting with.

So, what happens to the light if you lift the zero block up to the “bit” to test it?

2 Likes

So, when the zero probing cycle is just touching the block, have you noticed the light change from green to red? This would indicate that the controller isn’t reading the touch.

Reason for dowel pin is a test to prevent ruining a cutter which would have happened since z will not STOP MOVING moving.
Manually touching " tool " light goes to red.
Won’t probe in x either. Axis keeps moving.
Thanks for the replies !!

If the aligator clip is attached to the dowel and the light goes red when you lift the probe by hand to touch the dowel, there must be something wrong with the connection to your controller board. I think you need to talk to support.

2 Likes

I’ll recheck at the controller board to see if I did something wrong there.

Thanks !

Make sure your Board reads Reserved on the left side of the pin connection if not you need to use the supplied wired connector and that would cause a grounding issue you may need to use a camera with a flash to read it I had to good luck the probe is a time saver.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply ! Definitely on the three pin connector with " reserved " marked on the board.
Sending info back and forth to tech support. No solutions yet.
Led light goes from green to red when testing. Fails to probe in any axis and keeps moving . BAD in z with the HDZ setup !

Ouch when the HDZ tries to probe Z :grimacing:

Can you open the log and touch the probe with the alligator clip?
You should see a status indicator showing something like
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0.0,0|Pn:P>
with the Pn:P indicating a probe pin is activated.

Not sure how to do what you are asking. Need help with that one.

I think pressing “L” opens the log…maybe someone that uses Motion regularly can chime in.

In Carbide Motion settings tab, click “Open Log”, it will pop-up a separate window. This is where you will see GRBL traces flying by (and I am not joking about flying by, unfortunately…it takes a bit of swiftness to copy/paste the output after doing anything on the machine)

1 Like

Hi,
I saw that steaming by, like Greek ! :laughing: Continue to be clueless. Tech may have more info today.

Brian

If you hold the alligator clip to the probe block (LED changes color). You should see that Pn:P and the end of the lines that look like what I pasted above. You don’t need to understand it or copy it. Just look for that Pn:P.
If it’s there, your probe is working correctly and troubleshooting can continue knowing that (maybe the dowel pin you’re using has a coating?).
If that Pn:P is not there, it’s most likely a wiring issue.

1 Like

Try that in a little bit. Hardened ground 1/4" dowel pin. ( machinist here ) :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the continued help and tips, too !!

Great forum ! :+1::+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.