Carbide Compact Router - there be sparks

I noticed my carbide compact router making an odd noise while running a job and upon investigation saw sparks on the inside. As you can see, one of the brushes is a little crispy even though there is plenty of material left on the brush.

Replacing the brushes resolved the issue but I’m curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and if it’s an indicator of a larger issue with the router? The router is what came with my Pro back in December and I would say it’s been used, but not heavily. Around 20 hours of run time.

All brushed routers are subject to this. The little wire inside the spring will eventually keep the brush from contacting the rotor on the motor and sparks will fly. In your case the brush is not worn out but was probably binding up in the square tube and causing the sparks because it was not making good contact with the motor. Since you have new ones you could measure how long they are and you can estimate life of what is left at intervals. You should periodically pull your brushes and inspect them and blow or vacuum out the router motor.

All brushed motors are subject to this. There are tiny sparks even on a working router but large sparks should be addressed by cleaning and/or replacing the brushes and the brush tube.

1 Like