Carbide Create black working area

Fresh install of Windows 10 home, but on a fairly old HP laptop. Using latest version of create, downloaded and installed today. In carbide create, the working area is solid black regardless of grid size, I can see the cursor moving, place a circle, create a toolpath, all while black. When I simulate, it switches and shows me the simulation. This is on my secondary laptop which will mostly run motion and live in my shop, but still be nice to see the designs if needed. Any ideas? My guess is some sort of windows issue. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, same issue.

It’s a long shot, but what if you disable the grid? Any difference?

1 Like

Try updating your video drivers. You might be using the default Windows one.

I had the same exact problem and I ended up going back to an older version of CC.

Usually this is caused by a too-fine grid setting.

If that’s not it, it’s a video card/graphics driver issue — check for updates, manually force an update, reboot, check for Windows updates, &c.

On the PC I had this issue with I wasn’t able to update anything. It was an older laptop that was updated to windows 10 a few years ago but after the update things weren’t the same. Some things didn’t work at all and others were sketchy. One of the most irritating things was the video and sound playback was always stuttering. CC always worked as it should until I updated it a few months ago. I never really got anything from C3D support about a fix so I just bought a newer pc.

Thank you for the replies. For future reference if anyone has a similar issue, I rolled back the driver for Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This causes the display to be scaled wrong and does not look as good, but the program is functional. What I had done is a fresh Windows 10 install on a 15 year old HP pavilion which previously had Windows Vista. Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB ram. Windows 10 is definitely taxing the system, but I only need to run Motion and maybe Create to review a file. This laptop will live in my shop.

Maybe this can help someone looking for an affordable secondary system, and if you have an old laptop laying around, might be a viable option for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.