Carbide Create Build 726....can't find NC file

Recently upgraded CC to 726. Like the improvements etc. Created a new project …was able to save project as a “Program Carbide Create V7” file but am unable to find the corresponding NC file that is to be used on my Shapeoko. Previously it was created when project file was saved. Did a search of my directories…no luck finding NC file. Anyone else have similar problem…appreciate any direction for this old retired fart…

2 Likes

You missed all the hoopla when they released V7 of carbide create. Unless you’re using the pro version, it won’t output a nc file, it outputs a file specific to Shapeoko machines only. The pro version will output a nc file,
Guess you better find the V7 relase thread and start studying. Myself, I haven’t used carbide create at all.

1 Like

So am I to understand I don’t need an nc file if I am running a Shapeoko machine the c2d file will work?

Correct, you will need to use the latest version of Carbide Motion and it will open C2D files as well and execute the tool paths contained in them.

1 Like

Just stressing what @SLabuta just said…you HAVE to have Carbide Motion version 565 or higher installed on the machine driving your shapeoko.

1 Like

Just a few points. The v7 will only work on C3D machines and only with Carbide Motion. If you use a 3rd party gcode sender you have to buy the PRO version of CC to get .nc files. So if you have a Shapeoko/Nomad and use Carbide Motion the .c2d file will work. If you have a 3rd party machine you are generating generic/gbrl gcode for then you have to stay on the 6xx version of CC. Youi can run both v6 and v7 on your computer.

I went through the many many beta versions and have the Pro version. All through the installs the pro version kept working. When I upgraded to the stable version of v7 the pro feature quit working. I just had to reinstall the license and it went back to working.

In the long beta thread the reason for the change in .nc files is to prevent C3D from supporting non customers with CC. C3D will support anyone that has a Shapeoko/Nomad but the rest of the world using the free CC is no longer supported by C3D. People can still post on the forum for help but that will die out as time goes by and v7, v8, v9 comes out and v6 becomes more and more obsolete.

An alternative provided by Carbide3d is this link

G-Code Extractor

It will create a .nc file as before. I find this useful to run a simulation with Camotics.

Bill

3 Likes

Bill you are correct for now but that will likely go away according to Rob in beta v7 thread.

The specifics are:

• CCv7 includes toolpaths in .c2d files — these may be sent to a Carbide 3D machine using CM565 or later, and the G-codes may be extracted using CM while it is connected to a machine
  • the web page: Extract GCode from Carbide Create V7 will eventually be secured so that only Carbide 3D customers may access it

For folks who don’t have Carbide 3D machines, the option is to purchase a license for Carbide Create Pro — this will then allow exporting G-code directly from v7.

It’s probably worth noting that Carbide Create 7 (non-Pro) won’t readily work for valid C3D customers and Shapeoko/Nomad owners that do not use Carbide Motion.

You mean “folks who don’t use Carbide Motion”.

You can still use Carbide Motion — just launch it, connect to the machine, extract the G-code, save it locally, then quit and launch the communication/control program of your choice — or use the afore-mentioned web page.

1 Like

sigh I’m quite tired of this nonsense spin doctoring.

The situation has gone from all C3D customers being able to use the free version of CC and run their C3D machines from its output, to only some of them being able to do that.

Sure, “you can do it if you load another program you don’t need for anything else or upload your file to a remote server… you’ll get used to it… trust us… we know stuff!” to achieve the old result.

But the net outcome is that C3D have disadvantaged the established workflow a collection of their customers. And why? So that non-C3D customers are forced to use the hacked version, generate a Pro key, or use the Ardiuno workaround. So nothing solved. It’s a company-focussed decision being spun as a feature and it’s just nonsense and belittles C3D.

Sorry. I need a rest from this forum, I think.

4 Likes

Still a little bit of confusion here…

So am I to understand I don’t need an nc file if I am running a Shapeoko machine the c2d file will work?

Answer: Correct, you will need to use the latest version of Carbide Motion and it will open C2D files as well and execute the tool paths contained in them.

Ok…

I currently have build 550. I tried to download build 556 and run it but computer seems to default to 550. Does the 556 not just do an upgrade or do I need to remove build 550 completely and install just the 556 build?

Appreciate any insight…

Usually CM removes the old version. However if it did not then go through your application menu and find the newest version to launch. If you dont need the old version then just remove it. It wont hurt to hve two versions as long as you create a link to the new one you want to use.

Remember when you get the new version running to do a configuration to your Shapeoko. The reason is the application CM is also configured by sending the configuration to the Shapeoko.

Which 550 do you have? Carbide Motion? If so, installing Carbide Motion 566 from:

should replace it.

For Carbide Create, if you have build 530, then it should be possible to install v6 from:

and v7 from:

and have all 3 to choose from.

Correct, so long as you have a recent enough version of Carbide Motion (565 or later) — the toolpaths are now stored in the .c2d file.

Might be time to clean up C3D’s site, and remove statements like

Carbide Create is a free 2D CAM software package … In addition, Carbide 3D, the company that makes Carbide Create, will do its best to support you even if you’re not directly a customer. Carbide Create also has a vibrant user community online.

Is there any plan to handle Nomad and ShapeOKO owners that have non-C3D controllers? Inexpensive 32b CNC controllers have become available, /bit of a soapbox follows/ and provide far higher step rates and extra features like wifi, bluetooth, and USB connections plus onboard web servers with jog, log, command line, etc. The ESP32 based FluidNC, for example, it’s running here on several non-C3D routers including a 4th axis machine.

And not trying to be the license police, but grbl is released under GPLv3. If the Carbide Motion lock-in required modifying grbl then those changes may be required to be released under the license.

2 Likes

I feel compelled to voice an opinion, even if it isn’t popular.

I make custom furniture - that’s my job - but I get calls about all sorts of things like ways to use tools, which tools to buy, finishing techniques, refinishing questions, repair questions, etc. I love woodworking and I love to help other woodworkers, so I go out of my way to help them - even to the point of going to someone’s house to help them learn to use their tools. I see it as a community and anything I can do to help advance the community, advances all of us.

HOWEVER…if I’m tight on a deadline or just really busy - my work is going to take precedence. My clients are going to get my time - and my ability to help others will be diminished. The bottom line is that I have to respond to my business — my paying clients are higher on my priority list than those who aren’t my clients.

If Carbide has non-clients calling their help desk and occupying resources — and times are such that continuing that practice is making it harder to serve their clients fully, then making a decision to shift resources - and even restrict their product usage - is not only their right as a company - but their RESPONSIBILITY to their paying clients, and their employees. I trust this is a decision based on the necessities of running a business - and not some evil greediness and sudden snubbing of the community.

11 Likes

I agree with your perspective.

However, DRM in the guise of the restrictions C3D are employing only ever disadvantage customers, and never disadvantage non-customers.

Non-customers do not suffer since they will eventually find ways around it. In fact, making things unavailable creates motivation to hack and bypass imposed restrictions.

CC Pro was so-so before version 7, so its doubtful anyone would bother to make a key generator or a hacked version for V6.

But non-customers will do that now JUST to get the GCode download functionality. So will be able to readily do things regular customers could do before, but now cannot. This pattern is well-known in other industries, particularly video games, and will repeat here. Installed software cannot be protected.

The net effect will be that owners of C3D machines cannot readily produce GCode, but non-owners will be able to readily produce GCode.

Which is plain nonsense.