Carbide Create - Cannot reliably cut .126" holes with a 0.125" end mill

Using Carbide Create to generate G-Code. I am using a .125" flat end cutter (bit #102) and everytime I select one of my holes to cut (.126" diameter) it will not show it being cut on the simulation nor will it cut it on the machine. What can be done to fix this issue? This has happened on and off as it doesn’t always happen. I have tried inside cuts and pocket cuts with no success in either form. Please help.

@mooney555, any feature you cut with milling needs to be at least 10% or so larger than the cutter. See ToolPath Craziness With Holes in MeshCam for an example discussion.

Try MeshCAM’s drilling toolpath to make holes that are the same size as the cutter.

Randy

This is Carbide Create (CC), a 2.5D program. @Randy, it wouldn’t operate by the “blind man with a cane” technique, would it? I would expect CC to be able to put an end mill into a hole greater than its diameter, maybe even equal to its diameter.

IMHO, we should ask C3D about this one. I strongly suspect that this a bug or an intentional limitation that can be relaxed.

The Vectric programs - Cut2D and VCarvePro - are 2.5D programs as well. They will cut any holes larger than the end mill diameter by 0.001". The 0.126" hole would be fine for a 0.125" end mill.

@mooney555, could you please try 0.127", 0.128" and so forth and report when it does consistently work?

mark

:blush: (if that comes out right it’s a blush emoticon). You are right, Mark. I assumed that CC would behave as MeshCAM does, but I’m sure you know the classic saying about ASSumptions… :grin:

Randy

I will try that now. Stand by for results.

success. at .128 diameter hole. cuts right thru. thanks to you and Randy for the advice. its weird because last week it wouldn’t show up in the simulation, but it would cut the holes in reallife. This week is is not cutting the holes at all. But the larger hole comment does make sense. So now I just need to modify by dxf drawings very quickly and I can spend the rest of the day focusing on cutting out the parts and pieces needed for my projects I have been working on. Thanks again guys!

Conceptually, a 2.5D program can mill a hole equal to the diameter of an end mill. Often, they require an overage of the smallest unit - 0.001" - so 0.126" should be millable with a 0.125" end mill.

That CC will accept 0.128" for a 0.125" end mill points at at 0.003" overage.

As I stated earlier, the Vectric programs - Cut2D and VCarvePro - are 2.5D programs as well. They will cut any holes larger than the end mill diameter by 0.001". The 0.126" hole would be fine for a 0.125" end mill.

I’ve asked C3D to explain the current behavior. I would like to see the overage reduced to 0.001" or better yet 0.0".

mark