Carbide Create crashes following installation.?

Just purchased a Shapeoko XXL Thanksgiving Day. Received a followup email giving me a link to download Carbide Create in preparation for delivery of my machine.

I downloaded the file and installed it. Everything went as expected. Upon completion a Carbide Create shortcut was placed on the desktop. After double clicking the shortcut there was a short pause which is normal with just about any program, but then a Dialog Box appeared saying that Carbide Create had Crashed. I had an option of closing the window or displaying details of the crash.

I copied the details to Notepad then saved the file.

I then did a complete uninstall and deleted the downloaded .exe file. I shut down the computer and rebooted. Then I repeated the download, install and run procedure again. Same results.

I sent an email to the folks at Carbide 3 explaining the above including the contents of the crash message details. I received a reply the next day telling me to “try another computer”. I can’t say I was expecting that response, but I repeated the procedure on my wife’s computer.

It didn’t crash. It didn’t do anything. Double clicking on the desktop shortcut simply produced a short “spinner” then nothing. I opened Task Manager and double clicked on Carbide Create again. Nothing showed up under the “Application” tab and only for a microsecond did the word Carbide show under the “Process” tab. Then nothing again.

Being told by Carbide 3D that I am the only one who has had this problem and that the problem is my computer, I’m hoping maybe someone in the community might have an idea or suggestion that might help. My computer is certainly not new, but runs Fusion 360 and other powerful software packages.

I’m not saying there is something wrong with Carbide Create, I’m simply asking what other options might be open to me. I was told that I would get an email with a link to an older version of Create, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

I don’t think that I should have to go out and buy a new computer in order to test my new machine once I get it assembled.

If anyone would like to see the DirectX Diagnostic dump of my systems components I’ll be happy to oblige.

Thanks your consideration.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties — have you tried running any other apps developed w/ the QT libraries?

Which video card do you have? Carbide Create and Motion seem to want to use advanced graphics card features, and are sensitive to driver versions / support. Update your graphics driver?

Arguably, this sort of issue is why Carbide Create is still considered beta software (have you tried to install Carbide Motion?)

http://carbide3d.com/dl/CarbideCreate.exe
Try this , windows OS right?
After first downloading and clicking the desktop short cut be patient, sometimes takes a bit G/L Ray

Hey William,

Thanks for the quick reply…

First I have to admit that I’m not familiar with QT libraries.

That said… My PC Laptop has the Intel Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family and unfortunately there are not driver updates available for it.
At your suggestion I downloaded and installed Carbide Motion just now.

Install went as usual. Clicking the desktop shortcut bring up an empty CM window followed immediately by a dialog box with Carbide Motion has stopped working.

With CC I got no CC window just an immediate dialog box with Carbide Create has crashed.

Not that it will be of any help but I’ll include part of the dxdiag detail below.

Thanks a million for your time.

Bill

System Information

“Time of this report: 11/28/2016, 19:15:53
Machine name: BILL-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.160211-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP G71 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM
Page File: 2187MB used, 5808MB available.”

Display Devices

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
   Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
      Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
       DAC type: Internal
     Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_306B103C&REV_07
 Display Memory: 1695 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1631 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC3154
Native Mode: 1600 x 900§ (59.997Hz)
Output Type: Internal

please try a mature program written using QT.

LyX or Inkscape — if they run, let Carbide3D know about that. (It would help if they’d let us know specifically which version of the libraries they are compiling with).

the CC I posted above is from an email I got a couple months back and I uninstalled CC on my computer and reinstalled using the above file and it work fine. you should give it a shot.

Hey Will,

I’ll try Inkscape this evening after work and let you know.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Ray,

I’m sure gonna give that a try. It was suggested that I try an earlier version by C3D but still haven’t hear from them as to where I can find the link. What you’re suggesting sounds like what they should have.

I just received the email announcing a new update to CC. I’ll try that first, but I’m not very optimistic. If that should work I would think that would be the way to go.

Assuming it doesn’t work, I’ll certainly try your idea tonight after work.

Thanks a million.
Bill

1 Like

Just downloaded the updated CC and it crashes too.

I’m going to give your idea a try. I’ll post again later.

Thanks Ray

Hi Will,

I had downloaded Inkscape about a week ago, but hadn’t done anything with it. I installed it just now and it seem to work perfectly. I’m an Illustrator guy and have been for many years. I have to admit that Inkscape looks pretty nice. The user interface seems to be quite a bit busier than I like, but I’m sure all the toolbars etc. are cusomizable to suit each user’s preferences.

I mentioned in a reply to fiero 1 that I downloaded the newly released CC and it crashes too.

Not sure what I need to do now.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

I downloaded the .exe through the link you gave.

It crashed too… At Will’s suggestion I installed Inkskape and it works fine.

Here are the details shown in the Crash Dialog… Don’t think there’s anything useful in there, at least at my paygrade.
I’m certainly willing to give a try to any other suggestions.

As usual, thanks for your interest and help…

Bill

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: carbidecreate.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 583daecb
Fault Module Name: ig4icd32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.1883
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a969adc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00031fa6
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

All that you can do is provide the specifics of your system and the crash logs to support@carbide3d.com — if they can manage to duplicate it, or get more reports of such difficulties, then maybe they can fix it. It might be possible to pursue it with the folks who create the QT libraries — they have a lot more users, so might have more data on this. It would help if we knew which specific QT version is being used.

The other possibility is that there’s something in your Windows installation which is causing this difficulty — that’s a deep rabbit hole, and a lot of effort, but if you were inclined, you could start with a fresh install of Windows and see if the problem persists.

Computing hardware is so cheap these days, it’s practically disposable, and one could pretty easily pick up a suitable new computer while shopping for groceries (seriously, at the local Wal-Mart, see if they have an RCA Cambio tablet). The community has noted some known working configurations at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Carbide_Motion_Machine_Control_Software#Known_working_configurations — might want to just grab something listed there, or similar hardware.

Alternately, some users have plugged in Raspberry Pi computers and run the machines headless using remote access. I’ve been tempted to try replacing my controller w/ a Smoothieboard and to use a Viki 2 LCD.

Please note that even if you can’t get Carbide Create/Motion to run, you’re not out of luck — the opensource software runs on pretty much everything, and used to be the default. Please see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software

Hey Will,

Thanks for the note.

I’ve been planning to purchase a pretty hefty new computer ($1000 range) with all the bells and whistles and use my perfectly functioning personal computer to control the XXL. Looks like that plan is out the window. Never dreamed I’d have to purchase a third computer in order to run a simple program like Carbide Create.

Long story short, On the way to work today I stopped by the local computer repair shop an picked up a new used/refurbished Dell laptop for $179.00. Now I’ll have to put the purchase of the new system on hold for a while because I’m certainly not going to throw away my good computer.

Anyway… brought the Dell home, downloaded CC & CM. They both downloaded and installed as expected. CM seems to run OK, but without a router connected it can’t be tested.

CC opens usually. Occasionally with just an empty window with a title that requires a close and rerun. Then it will crash occasionally when selecting “Material” a solid black box appears instead of the choices then it crashes.

Then it will crash occasionally when I try to select “Machine”… again a solid black box in place of the choices.

It will also “Freeze” frequently after clicking Show Simulation while the Carbide Logo files is on the screen, especially when “Aluminum” is visible in “Toolpath Simulation”. Funny thing is… even in the frozen state and none of the buttons are functioning… If you select “Open” at the top of the screen, a “Save as” dialog appears… Go figure.

Anyway, so far my experience with this POS (Piece of Software) has been a joke and I’m not laughing.

Thanks for your help. It’s greatly appreciated.

Bill

Please share the specifics of your system with support@carbide3d.com — if they can replicate the environment and your difficulties, then they can try to fix them.

If you need any help w/ any of the opensource software, let us know and we’ll do our best!

Thanks Will,

I did reply to one of their emails asking if they would read this post where I included the System and Display information for my system. I didn’t get a reply.

Guess I’ll have to send that info direct.

I also had this problem. I did the following:
Changed video settings. This did not fix it.
Installed the QT development software. This did not fix it.
Updated Microsoft Drivers. This did not fix it.

When to the Dell website and ran their driver update tool. This downloaded and updated all my Dell drivers for my computer.

THIS FIXED IT!

3 Likes

Thanks for the note Peter.

This computer is a completely reconditioned Dell Inspiron. I guess it was probably a trade-in at the local computer repair shop. It was taken down to basically a bare disk and complete Windows 7 reinstall with all necessary drivers. It was completely bare of software other than Windows, IE and Live Mail. In that state I installed CC and CM.

I can open CC four maybe five times in a row and get nothing but an empty white window with Carbide Create in the title line. I have to close the window as nothing happens after that.

Next time… it may open and look perfectly normal. But then, when selecting the material for the job, the normal choice drop-down shows up as a solid black box and the program crashes with a Carbide Create has stopped working message.

Next time… it may open and look perfectly normal. But then, after clearing the screen of the Carbide Create drawing, then drawing a square on the screen and selecting tool path, I select the show simulation and the “crawler” window blips bye empty and the program freezes.

I believe, in the 100 times I’ve attempted to use the program I’ve been successful making it to Save Gcode and Save File maybe 3 times.

CM will load normally most of the time and look like it might work if there was a router attached, but then a couple seconds later it crashes with the Stopped Working message too.

Anyway… I’m going to give your idea a try. I’ll post the results.

Thanks for your interest and suggestion.

Bill

Hey Peter,

Took the computer to the Dell site and ran their driver search and update routine. Found drivers for flashing the BIOS, Chipset, Network, Audio and Video. Downloaded, installed and ran each of them. Rebooted after the BIOS flash and Chipset update as instructed. Uninstalled and reinstalled CC.

Results… CC won’t even open now! Double click Desktop shortcut… nothing. Right click shortcut and select Run… nothing. Go to folder containing the .exe and double click that… nothing.

Wonderful!!

I have now tested CC on three different computers and it still won’t run properly.

Thanks for the information. It was worth a try.

Bill

Hmm…very upsetting…I am very sorry that my suggestion lead you to a even worse outcome. I work in IT and deal with this type of stuff often. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of more questions and we try a couple of more options? I don’t mean to be nosey, but it bothers me that it doesn’t work when it should.

One thing that I notices is that CC wont work if you change the Video setting from High color ( 32 bit ) to low or 16 bit color. What is the color setting of your video card? Is it using 16 bit?

Also, what model Inspiron are you using?

And did you try installing the complete QT library? ( Although this did not solve my problem, it had been suggested in another post)

1 Like