Carbide Create - Path optimization?

Hi,

I have a dxf file which defines many holes in a part. When I load this dxf into Carbide Create, select the holes, create a tool path, export the gcode, and load and run that gcode in Carbide Motion, the order in which the CNC cuts the holes seems arbitrary and very inefficient. The holes are laid out in more or less a grid pattern. The CNC cuts all the holes on each row before moving to the next row, but within each row it jumps around on the X axis cutting the holes in a somewhat haphazard order. For example, it cuts the holes on a row in an order like Hole 5, 2, 1, 4, 7, 3, 6.

Is there an opportunity for Carbide Create to sort the holes so they are cut in a manner with the least amount of unproductive “traverse” time? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 or 7,6,5,4,3,2,1, but not jumping all over the place like an embroidery machine.

I’m guessing the odd order may originate in the dxf file, but it would be nice if Carbide Create could put the operations into an efficient order.

Thanks,
-Danny

I wonder if it would make a difference whether you select the holes in a group or the order in which you select the holes when when creating the tool path in CC?

You can either select each hole in turn, then set CAM settings individually, or extract the G-code from Carbide Motion, then use a post-processor on it: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities

I believe one of the MakerCAM utilities will work.