Carbide Create Pro- What do you want to see?

OK another thread asked a question about adding tools and this is not obvious to the new users.

First, I think you should be able to access the tool menu directly from the menu bar not by creating a toolpath then editing the settings to get to defining a new tool.

Secondly, as I stated in a previous comment, you should be able to import a tool library from a supplier in a file like F360 and Vectric software do.

2 Likes

Also when selecting the tool from the dropdown menu - it should use the Description that was put in.
e,g, I have two entries :
:#18 - 0.125 in End
:#19 - 0.125 in End

So which of these is the straight cut and which is the spiral ? I can only find out by going to “Edit Library” and finding those tools and opening them to see. (and I will have probably forgotten 30 mins later - lol)

Also in the Tool Library, as well as a “Description” field there could be a “Notes” field for each tool which would help a lot - I can then write my preferred feeds and speeds for each material that I often use etc. If this was displayed on the Toolpath screen below the Tool dropdown (above the “Edit Library” then I could copy the Cutting Parameters, Speeds and Feeds etc into the the rest of the screen as desired for this particular job.

This is all about streamlining and helping the poor user get it “right first time” if that is indeed possible!

3 Likes

Well, this is going to sound pretty out of left field, but, for the last 30 years that I’ve been using CAD, I’ve been wondering how long it’s going to take until we can draw and model on-screen as naturally as we draw with pencil on paper. Now, in the last decade, we’ve seen the industry slowly, steadily creep away from the Command Line Interface toward GUI’s & heads up controls for drawing, and though we’re still using the old typewriter keyboard and remote control fingertip to do it all, that’s because all this software is decades old. If one was starting anew, from scratch, today, they would have the ability to create a CAD/CAM package with a naturalistic, hands-on UI, via modern equipment like Surface & iPad machines.

There have been a few DIY attempts at 2d cad, and 3D viewers, and poor performing dumbterminal solutions, but as of yet, if you made a well done, capable, straightforward even basic CAD/CAM app to run locally on iOS, with a plan to grow it with features, & modules for simulation, machining, printing, file types, etc output, over time, you’d have no competition and clean up in universities, makerspaces and garages everywhere. The big guys, adesk, dassault, etc, who could afford to make this with a spare ad campaign budget, have a vested interest in not doing so. I think there is an opportunity to capture a generation trying to shift.

2 Likes

It’s still evolving but uMake is pretty far along. Output needs to be extended but the 3D modeling design process is very close to the Sketchup experience.

RMW

1 Like

This will be fixed in 407

1 Like

After reading some posts about drag bits, maybe the new version of CC could show some love to drag bit usage and patterns to get full coverage or shades of “gray” as shown and mentioned here:

4 Likes

We’ve gotten some reports of files with very tiny stepovers causing trouble so this is a good one to add to the test cases. It’s not the intended use of CC but it’s worth using it as a torture test to make sure the changes we make are positive.

3 Likes
  1. Scaling option- where you can manipulate both dimensions on your own. Not just one. If there is a way to already please tell me.

407 Posted to Unstable with a number of fixes:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/unstable/

• (NEW) Updated toolpath calculation to move more into a background thread to cut down on program pauses
  • (NEW) Toolpath simulation begins with moire triangles by default
  • (FIX) Clear 3d model when creating new document (Ben M.)
  • (FIX) Removed random #0 tools
  • (FIX) Changed alignment button to image button
  • (FIT) Think the “flipping document” problem is fixed
  • (FIX) Tab units now match document, not only MM
3 Likes

I got 406 when downloading (Mac)

This was implemented in CC400 and is mentioned at: Carbide Create 400

There are three "Transform" commands, Move, Scale, and Rotate

When you click on any of these commands, the transform box will appear around the selection to directly manipulate the selection.

It’s 407 only right now. You might need to do a refresh or a shift-refresh (in chrome anyway) to clear the browser cache.

I refreshed my browser (Firefox) and 407 appeared, thanks.

@robgrz In my opinion, there’s nothing “reasonable” about a subscription model, I’m disappointed. That’s not to say I haven’t heard the sell on this nor get the motive.

I can’t imagine I’m the only one that puts the Nomad aside for months at a time. Keep paying the subscription? Stop paying the subscription to find the software’s non functional the next time I want to mill? And not all of need the latest & greatest features that subscription is supposed to support.

2 Likes

While flipping the design while toolpath has already been set,
the toolpath does carry over now,
However the 3D modeling component still stays in original position.

So from file above I just added random texture, if I select one it applies it, if I cancel texture operation the system still crashes

I proceeded to open another file in which the previous texture is still present with all coresponding compenents now gone.

So we must-
File-New to clear
Then Open file.

And just noticing all files created in 316 load into 407 all jacked up… Like above there was DENVER under Broncos at about 1" height, it’s now inverted and (-.039).

All my files are like this. When it looks as if text is missing from design, I can find it microscopic somewhere at the -.039" and Inverted.

I know files from 406-407 etc won’t load into 316 but I hadn’t had issues opening up old files in New before.

Textures also import into the design inverted.

So text and imagery appear upsidedown.

Also while going from a larger work piece and selecting new the center point doesn’t return to correct position. It rather just stays off in the distance off the work grid.
I went from this file- another 316 file with the lettering upsized larger than original workspace.

Selected File-New. Notice the center point a good distance off the workpiece.

When going into settings and repositioning the center point, it does properly re-align to the work-grid.

1 Like

You have no idea how happy this makes me!

@bpedit - you’re coming into a thread that’s almost two weeks old. I think we came up with a solution that seemed to make everyone happy, it’ll be either subscription or permanent. You can pick what suits your needs.

The model is not parametric / associative like the toolpaths so the components won’t follow the vectors after the components are created. This is something we wanted to do but it would be almost impossible without keeping an entire history of everything that happened in the document. This will become more clear as we roll out more of the modeling commands we have in mind.

I’m not quote sure I follow but I’ll try to duplicate the crash tomorrow.

If you can post the file we’ll check it out and see if we can do anything about it. (Though it might be better to just give up on the Broncos)

That’s a bug. We’ll get it fixed in 409

Thanks for the bug reports. We’ll see if we can get these taken care of quickly.

(Also, 408 is up with better pocket and contour toolpath linking)

5 Likes

What about being able to cut vectors? I’m new to CC so maybe that can already be done. I couldn’t figure out how. Do I need to watch a training video?

I made a circle and wanted to cut part of it out and discard the rest, then connect straight vectors to it.

And I wanted to take an existing shape and cut it in half so it will fit on the pieces of wood I have, then glue them back together. Or can I fence pick a bunch of nodes and delete them?