Carbide Create Pro- What do you want to see?

FWIW, I find Vectric having that many tools cluttered and annoying.

The tutorial I worked up would’ve been easier if just CC would honour groups as objects when doing Boolean operations.

1 Like

I agree with Will on this one. UIs will always be an acquired taste. New ones are never perfect until they are, but they can be bad.
It sounds to me like CC just needs the vector editing capabilities of Illustrator and Inkscape, the 3D capabilities of Fusion 360 and Blender, the toolpath generation capabilities of Autodesk HSM, the CNC specific tools of Aspire, and a UI that knows what you are going to click before you do it.
Do that, plus add a couple of features that set it apart (like some sort of AI for feeds & speeds), and I’m in…as long as it runs on my Win95 PC or my Pi Zero…Oh, and make the price much closer to that of Inkscape than that of Aspire.
:wink:

4 Likes

I know this was said tongue in cheek, but they gave us the best desktop CNC in its price range, my expectations are high :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely agree that UI is often personal preference though, and you can’t make something better if you just copy the other guys…

@WillAdams fair call, but vector trim would be a pretty useful tool

3 Likes

Give me the vector editing capabilities of Altys Virtuoso/Macromedia Freehand over Illustrator/Inkscape/CorelDraw/anything else anyday.

1 Like

Nothing says “modern UI” like something that hasn’t been relevant since Y2K.:yum:

2 Likes

Yeah, because nothing says “success” like buying your competitor almost 10 years to the day after a federal judge declares you can’t buy any competitors for a decade.

An example of why Freehand is far better than anything even without any recent development: Processing a complex SVG

Adobe InDesign is a much more consistent program with a much better UI than Adobe Illustrator, because it’s based on the Aldus standards which were modeled on the drawing program designed by Altsys.

Moreover, Fontographer is still available for sale, and is much the same drawing interface.

1 Like

Just to add to your comments, I agree with Will that sometimes, the Vectric menu can seem very busy but the tools are there and on mouse over you get what the seldom used icons are used for, while not perfect, it works well. Maybe it is because it has so much functionality that the interface can be a bit busy.

What you did not mention is that Vectric has menus that are accessible with a right-click when you select objects, it follows the standard look and feel for Windows including shortcuts, has multiple undo/redo. CC does not have half the features of VCarve Pro let alone Aspire (just look at the menu). For example, VCarve supports tiling, engraving, a fully customizable tool library that can import endmill data, import STL, trace bitmap and dozen of other functions not available in CC.

What takes me a few minutes to create in VCarve takes a lot more time to create in CC and I have to use workarounds and a lot of frustration. I use CC for simple stuff and maybe would consider Pro if it had a better than VCarve 3D functions with 2/3 of the other VCarve functions at half the price.

1 Like

Im having problems with 413 loading. I got it downloaded and used it for a few days. Now I cant get it to open.

I have tried removing and reinstalling. Restarting my computer.

I am running Mojave OS 10.14.5

I see where this is already talked about. let me clear some files

1 Like

This will definitely show up at some point in the near-ish future. We didn’t have a good way to implement it until we redid a lot of the internals to support the Pro features so it had to wait until now.

2 Likes

Another feature I realized would be useful: When clicking onto an existing component in the Model tab, it would be helpful to see what the shape parameters were used to create the component. I have read the reasoning about the shape parameters not being adjustable after the 3D component is created, which is unfortunate but acceptable, but maybe we could show the values grayed out at least for future reference. That way when I come back to something months later, I do not have to guess on how it was created or guess how someone else created their shared *.C2D file.

1 Like

I would love a Pro version… just stumbled onto this thread.
My biggest problem with CC, though, is the mac bugs for the cuts screen. It got a tiny bit better with the newest version, but right clicking on cuts is often times a whole inch away form the actual item i’m right clicking.
Now… I’m not terribly worried with a “free” version… and otherwise it does all that i want… but if i’m paying for a “pro” version, i’d expect bugs support and solving of those would be much faster.
Now… as for features i’d love to see… 3d mouse support! I know it’s silly… but for those of us in Fusion 360, a 3d mouse is absolutely essential.

Well it is a problem with your Mac, I use CC on the Mac (Mojave) and it works fine as far as clicking on the items on the screen. Maybe you need to remove CC then remove the preference files in the library and re-install fresh.

Usually such problems (clicks being offset) is caused by a disconnect in high-DPI screen scaling — please let us know what graphics card and screen size you are running at and what screen scaling (if any) you are using to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll try to have a developer look into it.

1 Like

que este también en español. y hacer más vídeos desde nivel 0 para aquellos que recién comenzamos y que no tengas que ser ingeniero de la nasa para utilizar

1 Like

I figured I’d play around for another couple minutes in Carbide Create Pro to check out the 3D roughing. I whipped up something extremely basic and then looked at the G-code. I went into the experiment thinking that I really want to be able to set the stepdown, and while that may be the case, I actually discovered that the G-code was really screwy.

I imagine the 3D roughing is intended to be like cutting an inside profile at the first stepdown, then pocketing inside that, then stepping down to the next inside profile, then pocketing that, and so on. The G-code does seem to include all the appropriate cutting, but the sequencing is not cromulent. In the image above, the G-code is actually cutting all the inside profiles one after another all the way down all the steps, and then it’s going back and pocketing inside each layer starting at the bottom. This is obviously unintended behavior.

Here’s my example data: Bump.zip (176.6 KB)

Being a developer, I treasure reports that include excessively fine-grained detail about exactly how to replicate an issue, so paying it forward (and so anyone else here can see if they see the same thing), here’s my step-by-step example as precise and clean as I could make it:

1. Open Carbide Create v415 (in Pro mode)
  2. Choose the rectangle tool and make a 100mm square
  3. Grab the lower left corner and move the square to the origin
  4. On the Model tab, click the Import Component icon and choose “Bump.png” (from the attached zip)
  5. For Import Parameters:
    • Set Height to 38mm
    • Leave XY Scale untouched (0.455)
    • Leave Invert unchecked
  6. For Component Parameters:
    • Leave the unlabelled dropdown on Add
    • Leave the base height at 0mm.
  7. Click Done
  8. On the Toolpath tab, click the 3D Rough button
  9. Click the Edit button
  10. For Tool, select #202 - 0.250 in Ball
  11. Leave Set speeds automatically checked
  12. Click OK on the tool dialog
  13. Leave stock to leave at 0.5mm.
  14. Click OK on the 3D Roughing Toolpath dialog
  15. Click the Save GCode button
  16. Preview the G-code to see sequencing errors

(Following those steps gave me differently-bad sequencing than I got with my example C2D file in the zip and shown in the preview above, but it is functionally equivalent for the purposes of debugging. Both my original example and what I got following the precise replication instructions resulted in “impossible” G-code.)

6 Likes

We just finished adding the depth-per-pass to roughing so that’ll be in the next release.

We can duplicate this behavior here so we’ll get that fixed, hopefully today.

We had to take a short break from the CC development to build the licensing portal so we can test that out before the launch. Hopefully we’ll have a release in the next few days with a bunch of fixes.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen mention of that before. More info?

We need something to manage the subscriptions and perpetual licenses for CC Pro so this will be the central place to look up your credentials. We don’t want to make it happen thru the app because a lot of users don’t have Internet in their shops so it needs to be a standalone site.

2 Likes

I forgot to thank you for such a clear bug report. Others (clearly not you) might be surprised how much time we spend just trying to figure out what the complaint actually is before we ever get to the point of trying to duplicate it.

We’ve got it fixed so it’ll be in the next release.

4 Likes