Carbide Create & Roundover edge

Is it possible to do a round over edge in Carbide Create? I’m just trying to put a roundover edge on a piece. I know there is no roundover bits/endmills but is it possible with other bits/endmills? And how if possible? If not is this something that will eventually be possible in the near future?

Thanks

Coincidently that is what I am working on today, putting a 1/4" radius on some 12mm plywood. So yes it can be done, but it does require some math to determine the tool’s location (or offset, which is usually 1/2 the tool’s diameter - the radius) so that the final part is the correct size. To simplify the math I just drew the tool in Fusion to measure the offset. Once you have this number, I used Carbide Create to create the geometry offset (Using the offset feature).

Setting the height was done manually (test cut), and then adjusted the height so that the roundover cutter left the radius I was looking for.

Hi Richard, I understand what you are explaining sir but have a question as well. How do you hold down the piece you are working on?

MAGNETS!

Kidding… this part is held to my wasteboard using 4 screws (drywall type).

Please see:

Above all though, don’t use tooling which has bearings, or a non-cutting end intended for alignment.

3 Likes

Wow, I’m still new to the world of CNC but getting the hang of it I feel is going very well, I’m loving it. But this appears like a lot of work for something so simple otherwise. Is it just me or is this actually quite the work to get a simple round over?

Question, is this something that will be available in the future? I use to the world of using hand routers a lot and I know a CNC is more than a basic router but this seems like such an easy thing to have available. And again maybe I’m so new to this I’m not seeing this accurately and if so I apologize for my lack of knowledge and understanding accurately so far but in time.

Lastly, if I upgrade to Carbide Create Pro software given the ability for more complex designs would Carbide Create Pro make this possible or easier? I thinking it would but making sure. I do plan to purchase Carbide Create Pro here very soon. Even with the ball end mills I have I’m thinking this as well.

And again please excuse any of my newbness lol. I’m trying, I’m learning and I’m loving it. Thanks

It works better with a Plunge style roundover bit, but they are nowhere near as common as the bearing style.

Something like one of these would be safe to use, and pretty easy to program.

1 Like

Getting Carbide Create Pro would not allow using a roundover tool. Instead, it would allow one to model rounded forms and then cut them out using 3D toolpaths.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I was basically meaning to say, sorry if I worded that badly - sometimes my words don’t come out correctly lol.

So would having Carbide Create Pro make it easier to do round overs doing rounded forms with using 3D tool paths?

Thank you

Yes, it is quite simple to do rounded forms using Carbide Create Pro.

1 Like

I use this Amana bit. They sell other sizes too. Using a roundover on a CNC, the depth of cut has to be perfect (or at least conservative), and the workpiece has to be super level so you don’t get a shoulder.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.