Carbide create uses a lot of passes for Vee bits

Hello there!

Got a question:

Im trying to speed up the engraving proces. I want to make the depth in 1 or 2 passes. Now it takes 10 passes. Those depths are very shallow and i know the bit (Amana rc-1148) can take much more than that. Where in Carbide create can i change this? I dontt understand, because with an endmill you can type in the depth per pass, and with Vee it is not possible.

Hope somebody can help me
Thanks in advance.

Rick

You should be able to:

• create a new tool library
  • create a V tool
  • adjust the settings in the new tool

(an example only, please test feeds and speeds and depth of cut)

1 Like

I tried doing this. It appears that none of the parameters change the depth per cut on a v carve

Looks like if you use the Advanced V-Carve feature you can set the depth per pass.

1 Like

This capability isn’t working right now - existing files created using V-carve toolpaths in older versions of CM (and new files too) are taking more than 3 times longer to carve right now - it seems that no matter what I set the depth per pass 2D cut depth too, CM/CC ignores it entirely and uses it’s own arbitrarily determined preset! (I ~was~ using a cut-depth of .18" for a 60deg 1/2" V, that resulted in 2 passes… that very same toolpath is now 8 passes - and the first pass barely scores the surface… I’m very grateful I’m not busier right now, because if I were, this would be the sole reason to spend money I don’t want to spend and migrate to an alternate platform that I really don’t want to do after 3 years of using/prophesising the benefits of CC/CM - it’s truly that frustrating…

Mmh, I concur on the bug, the depth in the (custom) V tool definition seems to be ignored for regular V-carve toolpaths, while for Advanced V-Carve the depth per pass is taken into account correctly.(@WLDOR that may be the workaround for you until this is sorted out, use Advanced V-carve with no clearing pass enabled?)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.