Carbide Motion 5.12

I was using CM 5.12 and had to pause and then stop a job. I noticed that I was not asked to power off the router. The router went to the back corner as expected but the software never asked me to power down the router. I like the prompts in the regular job flow to turn on and off the router, especially since I have a bit setter and do not want a hole drilled in it.

I downloaded 5.13 but I did not see any “Fix” in the bottom of the download screen for this issue.

Thanks

@gdon_2003 there’s a thread for the CM 5.x builds, on 513 they added the “Has Spindle Control Feature” detailed here Carbide Motion 505 Beta

You should see it under settings, make sure the box is unchecked if you have a router, or checked if you have spindle speed control.

4 Likes

Thanks I will try that in a little bit when I get off the forum.

Ver 513 (Note I finally updated CM from 414 to 513, so a LOT is new to me…so I may need some pointers…but…)

1. I clicked on Inch in the user interface, and see that everything is in inches (YAY), but the Jog Z is still at 6mm (huh) above my workpiece, which takes a minimum of 12 clicks to get to zero.

Why is it at 6mm versus say 0.300… Did I miss something?

1. The setting (*) page, (first tab) remembers all my setting…EXCEPT the Home (Z0Y0) preference Center. It keeps going back to Lower Left. Am I missing something?

CM is programmed in metric, most probably one of the points that was missed in the conversion process.

So THAT’S what that (Spindle Control) setting does. Thanks! One less anoying question to answer before I make chips!

Thanks!

1 Like

…do you mean the bit setter, I don’t see any place for Z0 or Y0 preferences in 513.

In a side not I have been using a lot of CNCjs recently just fired up CM to check this… I forgot about the rapid after it homes. Sadly my 1/16’ 2 flute Kodiak just found a clamp at 10K mm/min, yet another touch probe I guess. Just goes to show you bad things happen when you get complacent.

On a side note…I really think yo need to be a Software guru or a real a reak geek to install CNCjs…OMG…I got it running…but wow…I lost half a head of hair (that I couldn’t afford to lose)… Somebody PLEASE write an installer program for it. OK…I vented… I hate UGS, and there isn’t crap on how to use CNCjs…I LOVE CM…I just wish it ran on my SuperGerbil…

1 Like

Oh I its love and hate for me. There is a single download app that works as long as you’re on a computer not a Pi. The documentation is minimal compared to the stuff it can do, and I thought ‘hey I can code, how hard can it be to make a custom widget?’ The answer is not hard; if you have a 6 year degree in java script which I do not… @neilferreri has been my personal hero through this transition. It’s super powerful and the macros are awesome, but there is something to said about the simplicity of CM.

OK I’m off my soapbox now…

2 Likes

I got to ask, is that your board for the 4th axis? Second question have you seen the grbl1.1h release…now with automatic gantry squaring… :drooling_face: ?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a 5-axis board, that I am only using 4…GRBL1.1H…no, in fact never even knew it was coming…But what if I like my Gantries Round?

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Puts the O’s in Shapeoko I guess!
It’s not coming it’s HERE, to quote them" [OPTIONAL] Dual motor support for self-squaring gantry homing. "

1 Like

Ok, I took some time to read about 1.1h…sweet…I can see how that would be nice on the XL and XXL machines…they can be a little squirrelly…but the S3 is really rigid…(which is why I stick to this size).

2 Likes

Yuppers, with muh XL I’d love to give it a test drive. The S3’s though are a lot more rigid given the beam cross section to length ratio. Plus you have less distance on X so .0001" at one end isn’t that bad at the other. With all the metal work you do it makes sense. I see @WillAdams has looked at this, I wonder if a ‘Hold my Beer’ moment is coming :grin:.

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of @Luke — physics are inexorable, and I don’t have a magic trick up my sleeve on this (and see: https://carbide3d.com/blog/2020/shapeoko-development/) — I was just remembering a previous discussion where the observation:

twice the length, half the rigidity

was made — it’s not quite that, but it’s valid, and it takes some fancy toolpathing to eke metalwork out of the larger machines.

Damnit, it’s been a long day, sorry yes,@Luke. And that was a hold my beer moment on the GRBL 1.1h. Side note if you ever figure out how to change physics let me know, I have some minor requests.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.