Carbide Motion 505 Beta

We just uploaded 513 to:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta/

• (NEW) New Shapeoko setting, “Has Spindle Control” for users who do not want pauses and popups for spindle changes
  • (NEW) BitSetter location not cleared when disabled
  • (FIX) Full file path not shown in run pane, only the filename
  • (FIX) Added a couple of internal checks to make sure that key jogging cannot run away when focus is lost.
6 Likes

managed to recreate the condition that previously kept the machine moving… and it very nicely stopped now… so at least this case is confirmed fixed

5 Likes

Thank you Rob for this. I just seen this so I’ll be anxious to try out enabling the bit setter and disabling it to see if the bit setter coordinates remain untouched. On that note, how difficult would it be to add the ability to enable and disable it on the main screen BEFORE initializing the machine? That would be so helpful if possible and closer to my original question I asked a few days ago. Because if I know I’m running a job that’s only 1 tool (bit), I’d like be able to just disable the bit setter first & foremost before it initializes and does the whole homing process and then comes up front, yada yada. Please please please I hope you can do that. I’d be forever grateful. That would honestly solve the frustration I think with some people including myself in how the machine immediately comes forward for a bit change after homing if you can disable the bit setter on the main front page and enable it when needed. Then when you enable it it’ll reset back to the homing process and come up front for a new tool.

Thank you sir.

3 Likes

You can click the Settings button before initializing to enable/disable the BitSetter in all builds, current and past. (Although I’d say the 500 series makes it more convenient) For a number of reasons, the ability to change settings before initializing must be allowed so it will always be a part of Carbide Motion.

Just remember to reset your Z work offset after enabling/disabling BitSetter.

4 Likes

For people just coming to this thread:

9 Likes

How has no one freaked over GAME CONTROLLERS!!!

5 Likes

I don’t own one or play video games, but i do however plan on building one of the USB joystick controllers to use for jogging the machine around. Already ordered the board & buttons.

I am freaking out!!. Have had an XBox wired controller for just this reason for quite some time. I am running Carbide Motion on a MacBook Air but cannot seem to make the controller do anything.

I see that Winston is using a MacBook Pro for the demo except when using the XBox controller. Any info here?

1 Like

We haven’t figure out how to make a game controller work on OSX. The framework supports it but we need to dig a little further to figure out what needs to be done.

3 Likes

Thank you Rob. Will wait patiently.

I guess I’m to late for request this time but next time could you include 0.387 and 0.5 end mills in the Touch Probe menu.

1 Like

how about an end mill of any size that you can type into a box and it just works

I AM FREAKING OUT! However, my freaking out is kinda being used up by SARS-COV-2 right now…

2 Likes

Tiny pedantic issue (yep I’m one of those), but in the metric world millimetres is not abbreviated as MM… It’s always mm. In metric, capital M is mega. Like Megaman (Mman).

4 Likes

In work probing there’s only 4 options, but you still have to scroll to get to the bottom choice. Is it possible to make the menu larger so that you can see all 4 at once?

2 Likes

Thanks for the great work Rob, the extra capabilities and changes that you have made to CM have really helped speed up the workflow.

3 Likes

Are you using C++ libraries with QT framework on OS X? I might have time to send you some code with the Zombie apocalypse and all. I did this for a work project a few years ago and remember it being something wacky , and ended up having to loop the commands through the bluetooth libraries vs trying to use serial communication through USB.

2 Likes

@Luke Game controllers are cool, but I’m quietly waiting for an API of sorts so I can dust off my Stream Deck Project… Until then keep up the awesome work with supporting additional input solutions !

2 Likes

The 505 Beta is working perfectly for me, but I’m curious why we have to hit “Start” on 2 different screens before the job will start. Prior to the Beta, we only had to hit it once. Thoughts?

There are two things:

• In 400, the Start Job flipped to the Run pane and started the job. Now it just moves to the Run pane, which seems a little safer.
  • If you hit Start while the machine is busy (other internal gcode queued up to go to GRBL) then the button is ignored.
1 Like